Rio’s shopping scene is as busy as its streets. Tourists and travelers are well accommodated by the big malls, shopping centers, and retail bargain shops. As the second largest economy in South America, Rio’s impregnable shopping industry keeps the whole nation growing. Tourism is the major driver of the country’s financial wealth. The thriving businesses in hotel, food, restaurants and shops, get all the glory of this booming economy.
Let us go shopping in Rio! We will look at where to find great deals, fresh produce, street markets, and some shopping malls. the list below will make things a bit easier to find in the big city of Rio de Janeiro.
1. Barra Shopping Center
The Barra Shopping Center started its operations in Rio in 1981. Boasting of around 700 shops of international and local brands, this place got it all. This place also has recreational establishments like cinemas and a bowling complex. Together with the New York City Center and Centro Empresarial Barra Shopping Business Center, this shopping center has all the modern and trending items.
- Name: Barra Shopping
- Address: Av. das Americas, 4666 | Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat, 10 am – 10 pm. Sun. 1 pm – 9 pm.
- Phone: + 55 21 4003-4131
- Website: http://www.barrashopping.com.br
2. Hippie fair
The things you can find at the Hippie Fair are everything from musical instruments, handicrafts, art, jewelry, and great street food. the open street market takes place on Sundays and is a great spot to find eclectic items for that unique style and decor. this colorful street is located in Ipanema. It is very close to the beach,and the Metro Station. We recommend that you see this place for a souvenir from Rio.
- Name: Hippie Fair
- Address: Praça General Osório – Ipanema 22410 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Opening hour: Sun, 7 am – 8 pm
- Website: http://www.feirahippieipanema.com
3. Ipanema Farmer’s Market
Buy it fresh from the farmer at Ipanema’s open-air stalls that sell fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats. Local sweets, pastries, and handmade cheeses are also available. The farmer’s market is a great way to stock the refrigerator with all the essentials for cooking up a great meal at home. If you are in Rio for an extended stay, this is the best place to shop for the goods you need. If you are just a passerby, the fresh fruits will always delight you.
- Name: Ipanema Farmer’s Market
- Address: Praca Nossa Senhora da Paz, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4. Rio Antigo Fair
Timing is the key to our next shopping experience. The first Saturday of every month the Rio Antigo Fair is in full swing. A great place to find bargains, antiques, food, and music that makes for a sunny day in Rio so enticing. Rio Antigo Fair is an ‘antiques fair’ located in Rua do Lavrado, a historic landmark in Rio because of the old colonial buildings around the area.
- Name: Rio Antigo Fair
- Address: Rua do Lavradio | Centro, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Opening hour: First Saturday of the month 10 am – 6 pm
- Holiday: + 55 21 2224-6693
5. Rio Sul Shopping Center
Rio Sul Shopping Center is an upscale mall that caters to all the high fashion needs of trendy shoppers. The multilevel megamall has plenty of shops to keep you looking around or to avoid the rainy days of Rio. This shopping center is housed in Rio Sul Tower, one of the three tallest buildings in Rio.
- Name: Rio Sul Shopping Center
- Address: Av. Lauro Muller, 116 | Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat. 10 am – 10 pm. Sun. 11 am – 9 pm.
- Phone: + 55 21 2122 8070
- Website: http://www.riosul.com.br
6. Tropicalia Discos
Music lovers and collectors will enjoy a stop at Tropicalia Discos with wall-to-wall LP’s. Treasure hunting is at its best from hard to find music, DVD, and CD. The owner makes the music store a cool laid back place where you can take your time and search for your favorites.
- Name: Tropicalia Discos
- Address: Praca Olavo Bilac, 28 Sala 207, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Phone: + 55 21 2224 9215
- Website: http://www.tropicaliadiscos.com.br
7. Catherine Labouré
If you are looking for vintage items like shoes, bags, trinkets, and all things thrifty, then, Catherine Laboure is the spot for you. The shop is located in a shopping mall, and it could be difficult to find. What waits though are unique pieces that are one of a kind, which will surely interest you. There is a small number for men’s wear, and you will also find antique items for your home.
- Name: Catherine Labouré
- Address: 2nd fl, Visconde de Pirajá 207 Rio de Janeiro , Brazil
- Opening hour: Tue – Fri. 1230 pm – 630 pm. Sat 11 am – 4 pm
- Phone: +55 2227 3375
- Website: http://www.catherinelaboure.com.br
8. Havaianas Store
The flip-flop can be a very useful footwear for the beach, poolside, or just around the house. Havaianas have perfected a piece of everyday comfort with its sturdy construction that could last you for a while. No-slip is one of the best things about them which means that you will not hydroplane and break your neck if you have to step in a puddle. With an array of colors and designs, they are the perfect tropical footwear. It is perfect for Rio, and you can find them sold anywhere.
- Name: Havaianas Store
- Address: Rua da Alfandega, Loja 176
Rio de Janeiro,
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 10 am – 7 pm
- Phone: +55 21 2222-4634
- Website: http://www.havaianas-store.com
9. Bum Bum
Look your best in the latest beach fashions from Bum Bum. This shop is conveniently located on the boardwalk of Ipanema beach. It is very accessible and convenient you do not even need to go to the malls. With a great selection of bikinis, tops, cover-ups, belts, and bags that will have you feeling food under the Rio sun.
- Name: Bum Bum
- Address: SL 215, R. Visc. de Pirajá, 351 – Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22420-030, Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat. 9 am – 8 pm
- Phone:+55 21 2227-4080
- Website: http://www.bumbum.com.br
10. On the Rocks
Rio is not all about parties, if you like to rough it out, camping on the beach or in the mountains is just one of the things to do while visiting. On the Rocks have you covered for your camping, hiking, or all around adventure needs. Aside from the gears, they also sell tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and apparel to get you ready for any outing or sports event.
- Name: On the Rocks
- Address: Avenida das Americas, 500
Bloco 8, loja 124
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat. 10 am – 10 pm. Sun 3 pm – 9 pm
- Phone: +55 21 2491-9725
- Website: http://www.ontherocks.com.br
11. Rico Surf Shop
Get stoked and catch a few waves while in Rio. You can find good breaks in most of the beaches. Rico Surf Shop will get geared up with an assortment of body boards, long boards, short boards, equipment, and apparel. Ask about rental boards as well, if you don’t want to buy a new board and have to travel with it. So get yourself a board and get wet at the many surfing spot on the coast of Rio.
- Name: Rico Surf Shop
- Address: Avenida das Américas, 19019 sala 322 – Recreio do Bandeirantes, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22790-703, Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Fri. 10 am – 730 pm
- Phone: +55 21 2438-1692
- Website: http://www.ricosurfshop.com.br
12. Supermarket Tanque
All your basic needs that make modern life tolerable are found at the supermarket. If you are looking for a reliable supermarket, the one in Tanque is best recommended. Commodities like toiletries, food ingredients, dry goods, vegetables, and meats are all found in one place, providing convenience to an everyday shopper. Do not forget to visit the supermarket’s deli for cold cuts and cheeses.
- Name: Supermarket Tanque
- Address: Av. Geremario Dantas, 215 – Tanque, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22735-015, Braz
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat. 7 am – 10 pm. Sun – 7 am – 2 pm.
- Phone: +55 800 282 8100
- Website: http://www.redesupermarket.com.br
13. FOX8 Skate Shop
There are skating parks all around Rio and near the beaches. If you are looking for a skate gear such as trucks, decks, board tape, wheels, and apparel, Fox8 Skate Shop is available for you. This shop is open from sun up to sun down, so you can visit anytime.
- Name: FOX8 Skate Shop
- Address: Galeão, Rio de Janeiro – State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Opening hour: 24/7
- Phone: +55 21 98300-8373
- Website: http://www.fox8.com.br
14. Flora Santa Clara
Say it with flowers because it can always brighten any ones’ day. Flora Santa Clara is a flower shop in Copacabana. They not only work with the classic flowers like red roses. They also make bouquets of exotic flowers. Visit Flora Santa Clara the blooms that you might need for your events or a romantic evening with your loved ones.
- Name: Flora Santa Clara
- Address: R. Barata Ribeiro, 522 – Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22040-002, Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat. 8 am – 8 pm. Sun. 8 am – 2 pm
- Phone: +55 2255-4511
- Website: http://www.florasantaclara.com.br
15. Pé de Boi
You can find handcrafted art from all around Brazil and Rio but what sets Pe de Boi apart is the special displays of local artists. This store also looks more like a museum or an art gallery, but all the items are for sale. While you are there, do not forget to visit the upper level of the building to view the photos of the artists who handcrafted the items on display.
- Name: Pé de Boi
- Address: Ipiranga 55 Laranjeiras Rio de Janeiro , Brazil
- Opening hour: Mon – Fri. 9 am – 7 pm Sat. 9am – 1 pm.
- Phone: +55 2285 4395
- Website: http://www.pedeboi.com.br
Rio de Janeiro offers many shopping opportunities, and we have just listed a few of our choices. We recommend that you look for yourself and discover this amazing city. The city has so much more to offer so have fun and explore all the options there are in Rio.
Have a good trip and travel!