Source: er Guiri
The 10 places that you can’t miss staying at while you visit Hakone. From private outdoor baths to John Lennon’s favorite Japanese getaway, these hotels have everything you need for an enjoyable trip through Kanagawa.
1. Gora Hanaougi
You will find Gora Hanaougi in the most popular area in Hakone. The hotel is surrounded by the beautiful natural landscape of Japan. Gora Hanaougi is known for the staff’s friendly hospitality and the vast amenities it offers, from tea rooms to an open-air hot spring bath.
- Address: 1300-681 Gora, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0408, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$579 – $1,000 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Free shuttle service from Gora Station is between 1:30pm and 5:30pm. Drop off Service at Gora Station is between 9am and 11am.
- Phone: +81 460-87-7715
- Gora Hanaougi English Website
Sounkaku is the perfect getaway for those who are looking to escape the busy city life. The hotel is located far above in the hills Hakone, surrounded by clouds. The staff is known for their excellent customer service from the moment you step in until the moment you leave. The food is highly spoken about (and often instagramed, see the amazing pictures here) and is available to everyone staying in the hotel. A quick walk from the local train station, Sounkaku is the perfect retreat for a weekend getaway.
- Address: 1300-492 Gora, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0408, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price: $318 – $530 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: 3 minutes walking distance from Sounzan Station.
- Phone: +81 460-82-3311
- Sounkaku Grand Hotel Website
3. Hakone Ginyu
Welcome drinks for everyone at this Japanese center of hospitality. A welcome drink isn’t the only thing that you will be getting while staying in this romantic spot. Every room has a private outdoor bath to unwind in, overlooking the mountains. This is the perfect honeymoon or couples getaway location to unwind with your loved one.
- Address: 100-1 Miyanoshita, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0404, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price: $509 – $998 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Phone: +81 460-82-3355
- Hakon Ginyu Website
4. Fujiya Hotel
Known mostly for the famous people who have stayed in this hot spot (John Lennon, Helen Kellar, Charles Chaplin and many others) Fujiya Hotel is great for anyone looking for an authentic Japanese experience in Hakone. The historic hotel has gardens, hot springs and a stunning view of the surrounding mountains. It has been around for over 200 years, so take a trip back in time and feel like royalty at Fujiya Hotel.
- Address:359 Miyanoshita, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0404, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$162 – $433 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Free car pick up from the Miyanoshita station
- Phone: +81 460-82-3355
- Fujiya Hotel Website
You are going to wish you were able to stay longer at this serene retreat. Yamanochaya has it’s own beautiful suspension bridge and plenty of bamboo trees to decorate the garden. This is considered one of the most beautiful hotels in the area and offers itself a lot to nature while also being modern and all-inclusive.
6. Fukuzumiro Ryokan
Wanna feel like Japanese royalty? Try Fukuzumiro. The rooms are broken up into three sections, making you feel like you are living in a palace! One part of the room holds a table and chairs (Japanese style of course), the next part of the room includes a covered balcony, and the final part is the sleeping room with futons (which also has a balcony with an amazing view).
- Address:74 Tonosawa, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0315, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$233 – $442 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Shuttle from Tounosawa Onsen
- Phone: +81 460-85-5301
- Fukuzumiro Hotel Website
7. Washintei Hougetsu
When in Japan… at this hotel in order to enjoy the full experience, everyone at the hotel, including guests, has to wear yukata robes. While this does sound fun, most guests who have stayed have said it really made a difference in how they enjoyed their experience. With breakfast and dinner included, you will be leaving with a new view on Japanese culture.
- Address: 90-42 Motohakone, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0522 , Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$374 – $768 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Shuttle from Ashinoko Onsen
- Phone: +81 460-83-7788
- Washintei Hougetsu Tripadvisor Website (no official website)
8. Gora Kadan
The calm atmosphere makes Gora Kadan stick out from the rest here in Hakone. From the moment you walk in, you have a sense of calm come over you. Even with it being easily accessible and near the road, it considered one of the quietest hotels in the area. If you are looking for a serene getaway, this is the place.
- Address: 1300 Gora, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0408, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$941 – $1,378 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Shuttle from Gora Onsen
- Phone: +81 460-82-3331
- Gorakadan Website
9. Madoka No Mori
This is for those who like traditional, but also want a modern touch to their vacation space. You will have a member of the staff assigned to care just for you while you are visiting. This staff member can help with several things, from food to recommendations on where to visit in the area.
- Address: 1320-862 Gora, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0408, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$697 – $1,041 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Shuttle from Hakone-machi
- Phone: +81-460-82-4100
- Madoka No Mori Website
If you are vegetarian and a little nervous about the Japanese menus at our previous picks, than Yoshimatsu is for you. Not only do you get traditional Japanese hospitality, but they have a whole new menu for vegetarians. Their yummy vegetarian food will taste great after you take a dip in one of their spring baths with a direct view of Mt. Fuji.
- Address: 521 Hakone, Ashigarashimo-gun, Hakone-machi 250-0521, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Price:$563 – $875 USD (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
- Access: Shuttle from Ashinoko Onsen
- Phone: +1 460-83-6661
- Yoshimatsu Website
Have a Good Trip and Travel!