Located near Mt. Fuji, at its southeastern part, Gotemba or Gotemba is Shizuoka Prefecture city in Japan. It has a majority of cool temperature, with an average of 136 inches of rainfall every year. It has a total area size of around 195 square kilometers, with an altitude ranging from 840 to 2,000 ft.
1. The Gotemba Premium Outlets
A popular mall outlet in Gotemba in Shizuoka Prefecture, it is owned by the merged enterprise of Simon Property Group and Mitsubishi Estate. The new management is currently named Mitsubishi Estate Simon Co., Ltd. The mall opened on the 13th of July in 2000. It is near Mt. Fuji and has more than 205 stores.
- Local Name: 御殿場プレミアム・アウトレット
- Address: 1312 Fukasawa, Gotemba, Shizuoka, Japan
- No. of stores: 205
- Total floor area: 44,600 square meters
- No. of floors: 1
- Parking: 5,000
- Website: www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/gotemba
2. Gotemba Heiwa Koen – Gotemba Peace Park
The Peace Park is well known throughout for the white pagoda which has the golden Buddha statues and temple dogs. These statues were given by other Asian Buddhist countries. If you go there, you’ll hear prayers being uttered at the grounds and temple. Another activity you can do is walk in the path of Bodhisattva statues veiled in the woods.
- Local Name: 御殿場平和公園
- Address: 河内長野市; Gotemba, Shizuoka
- Activity: Temple
- Best time to visit: Spring for the cherry blossoms
3. Kogen Brewery
Kogen Brewery is a huge business compound with different diners, cafes, and restaurants. It also has hot springs and hotel. In the winter season, you can see great lighting show, with lots of as open food stalls. Some of the common establishments are gift shops, prepared food shops, flower shops, as well as fruit and vegetable stands.
- Local Name: 高原ビール
- Address: 719 Kouyama Gotemba-shi, Shizuoka
- Transport: Free shuttle buses service once an hour, Gotemba station, Gotemba Tomei Express and Mishima stations.
4. Komakado Cave
The Komakado Cave is called by volcanologists as the “lava tube” because of the lava flow that formed coming from Mount Fuji’s eruption more than 10,000 years ago. The flow of the lava reached Mishima, with some even forming mounds of lava. The lava formed different shapes inside the cave, similar to rice cakes, rib bones, and some forming stalagmites.
- Address: 69 Komakado, Gotemba
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fee: 200 yen (adults), 150 yen (High school students), 100 yen (kids 12 or under)
- Directions: Exit from Fujioka station of the Gotemba line, turn right/left to Route 246. It will take you to 20 minutes.
- Website: http://japantravel-guide.com/destination/chubu/shizuoka/loc1489.html
5. Kishi Residence
Gotemba became favorite villa residence area celebrities, popular personalities, officials, and politicians. A popular celebrity who lived in the Kishi Residence is Akira Kurosawa. Former Japanese Prime Minister Nobusuke Kishi loved to live in Gotemba. The Kishi Residence has a splendid garden opened to the public. The garden has a beautiful gate, with some places you can rest.
6. Chichibunomiya Memorial Park
This park is located in the former villa residence of Prince Chichibu, who is the younger brother of Emperor Hirohito. The park has since been opened to the public ever since 2003. The prince purchased this place from Junnosuke Inoue, Japan’s Bank Governor in 1941. The main attraction is the main structure with the thatched roof.
7. Fuji safari park
The Fuji safari park is situated at around 850 meters altitude in Gotemba. It has various types of animals, flora and fauna, which comes from around the world. The zoo is near the foot of Mt.Fuji. The zoo normally attracts a lot of tourists, which makes it open much earlier. Some areas may be restricted because of animal conditions and weather.
- Address: Japan, 〒410-1231 Shizuoka Prefecture, Susono, 須山字藤原2255−27
- Phone: 81 55-998-1311
- Hours: 9am to 5pm
- Website: www.fujisafari.co.jp/english/
8. Kogen Toki no Sumika
You can have a good and spectacular panoramic view of Mt.Fuji while having a hot bath. It is a great place to relax and spend some winding time. You can also walk around the beautiful open park and nature. You can also purchase some barbecues, delicacies, meat, fruits, chocolates and pastries in the stalls.
- Address: 719 Koyama, Gotemba 412-0033, Shizuoka Prefecture.
- Phone: +81 550873700
- Hours: 8am to 6pm
- Activity: nature park, food, scenic view
9. Fuji Bussharito Heiwa Park
If you have reservations in climbing Mt.Fuji, you still have the option to enjoy your stay in the area. Take a cab from the Gotemba station to take you to the Bussharito Heiwa Park. The Buddhist shrine has a lion statue given by other Buddhist Asia countries. The area has several good spots with Mt. Fuji as background.
- Address: 3422 Higashitanaka, Gotemba 412-0026, Shizuoka Prefecture.
- Phone: +81 550820350
- Hours: 8am to 5pm
- Activity: Nature park, scenic view
10. Lake Higashiyama Fishing Area
It’s a medium sized lake where you can go fishing. Even if it’s not as big as other lakes in the region, you can enjoy the calm and serene nature in the place. You can ride a free shuttle bus which stops in front of the lake. The place is a great backdrop in spring when sakura cherry blossoms come in full bloom.
- Address: 1077 Higashiyama, Gotemba 412-0024, Shizuoka Prefecture
- Phone: +81 550-82-2161
- Hours: Open
- Activity: Nature Park, lake, scenic view
11. Ashigara Service Area
The service area has an enhanced clean facility and great for walking around and finding some souvenirs. You can also relax and take a break in some of its food corners, cafes like Starbucks and other food shops. The establishment regularly some presentations such as anime or manga characters to attract tourists and fans.
- Address: 1792 Fukasawa, Gotemba 412-0023, Shizuoka Prefecture
- Phone:+81 550-83-1311
- Hours: 8am to 8pm
- Activity: Shopping, souvenirs
12. Toraya Factory
Take a tour of the Toraya Factory, which are the makers of the popular Toraya snack. The food is a traditional confection called wagashi, which is a popular Japanese snack as far back as the 16th century. Toraya Group established its presence in 1869, currently with three factories and more than 80 shops in Japan. The company even has a shop in Paris.
- Address: 1022-1 Higashiyama, Gotemba 412-0024 , Shizuoka Prefecture
- Phone: +81 550-81-2233
- Hours: 9am to 4pm
- Activity: Food Tour
- Website: https://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/corporate/
13. Fuji Gotemba Distillery
The Fuji Gotemba distillery is a well known Japanese whiskey distillery operated by the Kirin group of brewing and distillery companies. The wine distillery’s site is in Gotemba, at the southern east part of Mount Fuji. The Kirin-Seagram Ltd or currently known as the Kirin Distillery Company built the Gotemba distillery in 1972. The company said they chose the location because of the similarity of Gotemba’s climate with Scotland (13°C average).
- Local Name: 富士御殿場蒸溜所
- Address: 970 Shibanta, Gotenba, Shizuoka Prefecture 412-0003, Japan
- Phone:+81 550-89-4909
- Activity: Food and drinks tour
14. Taiheiyo Club Gotenba Course
If you care for some golf, then you should have the Taiheiyo Club Gotenba Course as part of your itinerary in Gotemba. This golf course opened in April 1977 and designed and modeled by Shunsuke Kato. It has an area of 910,000 square meters and house area of 3,128 square meters. It has 18 course holes with practice range of 300 yards and 20 teeing stalls.
- Address: 941-1 Itazuma, Gotemba-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture, 412-0048, Japan
- Fax: 0550-89-6220
- Phone: +81 0550-89-6222
- Hours: 10am to 4pm
- Activity: Sports outdoor, Golf
15. Okamoto Riding Club
The place is friendly Japanese and English speaking horse riding club in Gotemba in Japan. It is situated very near the Gotemba Premium Outlets. The club is a couple of minutes drive from the expressway in Tomei. There are many types of horse riding available such as European style riding, adult, and children riders, from beginner to advanced levels.
- Address: 378 Numata, Gotenba, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan.
- Phone: 81 550-84-1289
- Hours: 8am-6pm
- Activity: Horseback riding, Outdoor
Gotemba has a diverse market, with farming as the common source of livelihood. Water from Mount Fuji irrigates the rice and crops. There is also livestock in most areas. Other industries include electronics, food processing, tourism and retail shopping. The city is conveniently located along the Tōmei Expressway which makes it a tourist haven.
Have a good trip and travel!