The moment you set your foot on your destination for vacation, the airport will definitely be the first thing that you will see. In most cases, the airport will also give you a hint as to what you can expect from the city or country that you are visiting. If you happen to land at Essaouira Airport, here are the 7 things that you need to know about it.
1. Service Area
— Sébastien Lob (@sebastienlob) April 25, 2016
The Essaouira Airport is the airport that serves the city of Essaouira. This city is located in the western part of Morroco, specifically in the Marrakech – Safi region. Before the city was named as Essaouira, it was formerly named as Mogador. It was in the 18th century when the name Mogador was changed to Essaouira through the efforts of Mohammed III.
- The name Essaouira means “the little rampart”.
- This name was in reference to the fortress or walls that surround some parts of the city.
- The name Mogador was believed to have come from the fact that a Muslim saint named Sidi Mogdoul was buried in the area during the Middle Ages.
2. Airport Physical Features
Airport essaouira mogador maroc pic.twitter.com/HwvV1RaHDj
— Mostaphaelbahja (@Mostaphaelbahj4) November 30, 2015
The airport has one runway that measures about 2,100 meters by 45 meters. The runway is made up of bitumen and asphalt on the surface. It is designated 16/34, as well. The airport is elevated from the mean sea level for about 384 feet or 117 meters. The physical features of the Essaouira Airport are definitely good ones for airplanes to land on to.
- The plane parking for the airport can accommodate two Boeing 737 passenger planes.
- The airport can handle and serve about 300 passengers per year.
- The landing strip cannot accommodate a Boeing 747, though, as such jumbo jet is bigger than the strip itself.
3. Car Parking Lot
— Eve (@EveMJH) August 17, 2015
If you happen to have a car waiting for you when you arrive in the Essaouira Airport, there is a parking space with a reasonable size in this particular airport. Such airport has the ability to accommodate about 100 cars. It can also accommodate four buses in addition to the 100 cars. As you can see, though, it is just a considerably small-spaced lot.
- You will not pay a parking fee when using the carpark.
- For more information, you can call the phone number +21 252 447 6704.
4. Special Facilities
Essaouira Airport pic.twitter.com/KGOShA4lSl
— Moha (@MoroccanRifio) August 11, 2013
There are also special facilities that are aimed towards helping those individuals or passengers with reduced mobility or PRM’s. Access ramps are available for use for individuals who are sitting on wheelchairs. You can also get assistance from the airport personnel with regards to such accessibility. The personnel will definitely provide you with the help that you need.
- You can go to the Information Desk to ask for more information with regards to such special assistance.
- An emergency medical unit or UMU is also available for certain medical emergencies.
5. Regular Facilities
The Essaouira airport in Morocco, in the middle of nowhere pic.twitter.com/9HPa2G7X
— Sarmad Kadiri (@madsarmad) November 8, 2012
For your luggage, the Essaouira Airport offers baggage trolleys that you can use to carry your luggage in an easy manner. If you ever lose your luggage, you can take advantage of the “Luggage litigation” service that is available in the airport. In addition, you can find toilets that are free for use with baby tables to change diapers for your babies in case you are bringing them along.
- You need to go to the Public Hall to find the baggage trolleys.
- For luggage litigation, you can approach an airport officer who is wearing a blue vest.
- All toilets are operational.
There is a taxi service area in this airport if ever you decide to ride a cab to your destination in Essaouira. These taxis are also available on demand. If you are more comfortable in renting a car, then, there are also car rental services that you can choose from. You can also opt to ride a bus, if you are still feeling energetic after the flight.
- Taxi fare is about 150 DH for one trip, from airport to the city.
- Car rental services are Aircar, Avis, Budget, Europ Car, and Sixt.
- Address of Airport : BP 131, Essaouira, Morocco
7. Stores and Shops
There are also numerous stores and shops that you can visit while you are having a lay over at Essaouira Airport. You can find food and drinks that you can consume while waiting for your next flight. You can even souvenirs that you can purchase when you are about to go home to your own place.
- Cafe CMG Food : located at the Boarding Hall
- Cafe ATASA : located at the Public Hall
- Other stores : CAFESTA, IDFS, and DUFRY MAROC
Although the Essaouira Airport is not a large one in terms of size, it definitely is an airport that does its best to provide its service to the passengers. However, you have to be careful when filming or taking photographs of the interiors of the airport. You will have to ask special permission first from the proper airport authorities.
Have a good trip and travel!