Narita International Airport is located 60 kilometres (37 miles) east of Tokyo center in Chiba Prefecture, near the city of Narita, and is the largest and most busy airport in Japan. Although the airport also serving domestic flights, it is mainly an international airport which 50% of all passenger flights and 60% of cargo flights in and out of Japan are going through. Narita serves as the main international hub of Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways and Nippon Cargo Airlines, and as a hub for low-cost carriers Jetstar Japan, Peach and Vanilla Air. It also serves as an Asian hub for Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.
This article will help you learn all the important information about Narita Airport, how to use it, and how to find your way around its complex, but first lets learn how to get to get in and out of the airport. There are 4 ways to get in and out of Narita Airport which are all very comfortable and quick. The difference between them is basically related to where you want to get, how fast and your budget. Lets go over the 4 different transportation system available for you to choose from.
- Name: Narita International Airport
- Address: 1-1 Furugome, Narita, Chiba Prefecture 282-0004
- Tel: 0476-34-8000
- Website: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en
1. How to Get from Narita Airport to Tokyo by Train?
Narita Airport is serviced by 3 train lines, the Narita Sky Access line, Keisei line and JR line. All trains uses the Narita Airport Station for terminal 1 access, and Airport Terminal 2 Station for terminal 2 and its new satellite terminal 2 which has been opened in April 2015.
Narita SKY ACCESS Line
Website (Timetable, Fares): http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/ae_outline/index.html
Keisei Main Line
Website (Timetable, Fares): http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/
Narita Express JR Line
Website (Timetable, Fares): http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/index.html
2. How to Get from Narita Airport to Tokyo by Bus?
Narita Airport has a vast network of Limousine Buss service which are very convenient to reach Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, Saitama, Tochigi, Gunma as well as to get from Narita to Haneda airports. The limousine bus service ticket counter are located right outside the arrival gates and busses are leaving the stations very frequently, usually about 3 times per hour. Once you get your ticket, you will see which bus station number you need to get to and as you arrive to the station, the limousine bus personnel will take your luggage and give you a ticket number which shows the station you want to get to. At the station, the limousine personnel will unload your suitcase and will wait for you to pick it up. It is a very safe, simple and quick way to reach all greater Tokyo area.
3. How to Get from Narita Airport to Tokyo by Taxi?
If you want to reach Tokyo or any other area by Taxi, please remember that it is quite a long ride to the city center and even with a taxi, it might take over an hour to reach Tokyo area. Standard metered service might cost about $200 one way and if you do want to get a taxi with more reasonable price, you can try the fixed priced shared taxies service which is located at the same area of the standard taxies. The fixed price taxies fare are organized to 6 zones.
Zone A: Edogawa, Katsushika and Adachi wards
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥16,000 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥18,500
Zone B: Koto and Sumida wards, Odaiba and Higashi-Yashio
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥19,000 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥19,500
Zone C: Chuo, Chiyoda, Taito, Bunkyo and Arakawa wards
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥20,000 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥21,500
Zone D: Shinjuku, Toshima, Nakano, Shibuya, Meguro, Minato (except Odaiba) ,Shinagawa (except Higashi-Yashio) and Ota wards
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥22,000 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥22,500
Zone E: Itabashi, Kita and Nerima wards
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥23,500 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥25,000
Zone F: Setagaya and Suginami wards, and Mitaka and Musashino cities
Price: Via Keiyo Road ¥24,500 / Via Bayshore Freeway ¥26,500
4. How to Get from Narita Airport to Tokyo by Car?
In case you use a car, there are 4 ways to reach Narita Airport. Two are using the highway and 2 using regular roads.
Using the highways:
1. Take the Higashi Kanto Expressway to the Shin-Kuko Expressway (toll road), get off at Narita IC and enter the airport through Gate 1.
2. Route 51 to Route 295, use Narita Smart IC (charge) and enter the airport through Gate 1.
Using standard roads:
1. Route 295 and enter the airport through Gate 2.
2. Route 296 to either the Yokaichiba – Sakura road or the Narita – Matsuo road and enter the airport through Gate 6. (Airport South)
* Using expressways are much faster but you will need to pay the toll fee at the different toll gates along the way.
5. Which Airlines are Located in Terminal 1
Terminal 1 North Wing
- Aeroflot Russian Airlines/Aeromexico/Air France/Aircalin/Alitalia/Aurora Airlines/HZ China Southern Airlines/Delta Air Lines/Garuda Indonesia/KLM – Royal Dutch Airlines/Korean Air/Sichuan Airlines/Vietnam Airlines/Xiamen Airlines
Terminal 1 South Wing
- AIR BUSAN/Air Canada/Air China/Air Japan/Air New Zealand airberlin/All Nippon Airways/Asiana Airlines/Austrian Airlines/EGYPTAIR/Ethiopian Airlines Etihad Airways/EVA Air IBEX Airlines/Jet Airways/Lufthansa German Airlines/Mongolian Airlines/Polish Airlines/Scandinavian Airlines System/SHANDONG AIRLINES/Shenzhen Airlines/Singapore Airlines/South African Airways/Swiss International/Air Lines/Thai Airways International/Turkish Airlines/United Airlines/Uzbekistan Airways/Virgin Australia
6. Which Airlines are Located in Terminal 2 & 3
- Air India/AIR MACAU/Air Niugini/Air Tahiti Nui/American Airlines/Bangkok Airways/British Airways/Cathay Pacific Airways/CEBU PACIFIC AIR/China Airlines/China Eastern Airlines/EASTAR JET/Emirates/Finnair/Hainan Airlines/HK Express/Japan Airlines/Jet Asia Airways/LAN Airlines/Malaysia Airlines/Pakistan International Airlines/Philippine Airlines/Qantas Airways/Qatar Airways/S7 Airlines/Scoot SriLankan Airlines/TAM Airlines/Thai AirAsia/Tigerair/Taiwan/TransAsia Airways
- Air Jetstar Airways/Jetstar Japan/Spring Japan/Vanilla Air
7. Narita Airport Terminal 1 Information
Terminal 1 is a 5 floors building and includes a basement floor which is the floor which connects to the Narita Airport Station. The first floor is the arrival lobby as well as the domestic flight check-in area. The 2nd floor is the immigration floor as well as the car parking access. The 3rd floor is the passport control area, duty free and souvenir shops and the domestic flights arrival area. The 4th floor is the international departure lobby and the shops& restaurants area. The 6th floor is where both shops, restaurants, coffee shops and the observation deck is located.
8. Narita Airport Terminal 2 Information
Terminal 2 is a 4 floors building which includes a basement floor which holds the Airport Terminal 2 Station. The first floor is the international arrival lobby and the domestic flights check-in area. The 2nd floor is the immigration floor, the domestic flights check-in and arrival area. The third floor is the international departure lobby, the passport control area and the duty free shops section. The 4th floor is a restaurants, shops and observation deck area.
The new terminal 3 building which was opened in 2015 is a small 2 floors building which holds the departure and arrival lobbies for the low cost airlines of Jetstar, Spring and Vanila air.
9. Where and What to Shop in Narita Airpot
Both terminal 1 and 2 offers a variety of shops offering a wide range of duet free products from souvenirs to packaged food, toys, fashion cloths and accessories as well as books and magazine stores. The main shopping floors are the 3rd to 5th floors of Terminal 1 and the 4rd and 4th floors of terminal 2. Terminal 3 has no shopping area and is just used for check in and arrival. Walking between the terminal is possible and takes about 10 minutes from one building to the other.
For full list of shops in Narita Airport please use this link:
10. Where and What to Eat in Narita Airport
Narita Airport offers wide variety of restaurants and places to grab quick food before or after flights in both its terminal buildings. The restaurant area is located on 4th and 5th floor of terminal 1 and the top 4th floor of terminal 2. Visitors can find Japanese, Western, Korean, Chinese and other ethnic food restaurants, snack & fast-food chain stores, large food court, coffeeshops, and Izakaya stores. The Japanese food is probably the most common restaurants around the airport offering Sushi, Ramen, Udon, Soba and general Japanese dished which are common in Japanese Izakaya and local restaurants all over Japan. The food quality is pretty good and the service is quick and efficient allowing many customers to quickly get their orders and leave to their flights.
For full list of restaurants in Narita Airport please use this link:
11. Need to Rent a Car or Bike?
If you wish to rent a car or bike, there are several companies offering rental services for foreign visitors. Terminal 1 and 2 have rental service desks for Nippon, ORIX, Nissan, Toyota and Times car. They are all located on the first floor of each terminal.
To get more information about rentals of vehicles at the airport, please use the following link:
12. Internet Connection in Narita Airport
Narita Airport offers free wireless internet connection. To use the service please follow those simple 3 steps:
1. Select the network, FreeWiFi-NARITA, on your laptop or smartphone.
2. Launch your internet browser.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to connect to the internet.
Narita Airport also offers computer kiosk internet access which cost ¥100 per 10 minutes. The kiosks are located on the 3rd and 4th floors of terminal 1 and the 1st, 2nd and 4th floors of terminal 2.
13. Hotel Accommodation at Narita Airport
Narita Airport has 12 hotels in close proximity to both terminal 1 and 2 and are excellent choice if you have a flight delay, or need to stay overnight in connection flights through Narita Airport.
The hotel are:
1. nine hours Narita Airport
2. Narita Airport Rest House
3. Radisson Hotel Narita
4. Narita Gateway Hotel
5. Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu
6. Narita View Hotel
7. Hilton Narita
8. ANA Crowne Plaza Narita
9. Marroad International Hotel Narita
10. Narita Tobu Hotel Airport
11. Hotel Nikko Narita
12. Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko
14. Mobile Phone Rental at Narita Airport
Both terminal 1 and terminal 2 offers shops which rent cellular phones to foreign visitors. In the past few years, there are more and more internet users who use their WiFi equipped cadets to make calls and now days, all the cellular phone shops also offer Wi-Fi rentals.
For full list of available cellular phone and Wi-Fi, please use this link:
15. Temporary Baggage Storage Service
Narita Airport offers both baggage storage facilities to keep your luggage for short or long term as well as coin operated self-service locker of different sizes.
For farther information about baggage storage in both terminal 1 and 2 please use the following link:
The coin operated lockers are located on the first and 4th floors of terminal 1 and on the 1st and 3rd floors of terminal 2.
Have a good trip and travel!