Source: Karl Baron
“The Naples of the East.” This is how visitors best describe the natural beauty of the city of Kagoshima. Located at the southern tip of Kyushu Island , the city is known for its warm climate, rich and unique culture, and of course – its delectable cuisine! The style of local Japanese cuisine that Kagoshima is known for is called Satsuma local cuisine. Here are ten highly recommended restaurants that will provide you with the best examples of what Kagoshima Satsuma local cuisine has to offer!
Late night Ramen lovers love the tasty and refreshing pork ramen that is served in this affordable restaurant. The pork is tender and flavorful while the distinct saltiness of ramen is very evident in the broth. This restaurant is usually packed to capacity late at night – as friends and drinking buddies flock here after a night of merrymaking and a lot of sake.
- Address:9-3 Yamanokuchicho, Kagoshima, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:550-1,200 Yen
- Opening hour:Evenings only
- Telephone: +81 99-222-4497
2. Satsuma Jokiya Kagashi Yokocho
Because of its semi-tropical climate, Kagoshima is rich in agricultural produce, especially fruits. This is seen most in the many sweets and cakes served in the city’s restaurants. This restaurant specializes in various desserts – cakes, pastries, sweet drinks, and the like. The best-seller is a doghnut like cake that is soft and fresh – with just the right amount of sweetness.
- Name:Satsuma Jokiya Kagashi Yokocho
- Address:13-14 Higashisengokucho Kagoshima, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:600-800 Yen
- Opening hours: 8:30AM-6:30PM
- Telephone: +81 99-222-0648
3. Ichiniisan Amu Plaza Kagoshima
Those who are looking for a luscious serving of pork korubota, known outside Japan as pork shabu shabu will be pleased with this restaurant that is located on top of a popular mall. The pork is mixed with other quality ingredients and the broth is always hot and hearty to the stomach – perfect after a full day of shopping.
- Name:Ichiniisan Amu Plaza Kagoshima
- Address:5th Level Amu Plaza Kagoshima, 1-1 Chuo, Kagoshima 890-0053, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:3,000-6,000 Yen
- Phone Number:+81 99-252-2123
- Opening hour:11:00AM-11:00PM Mondays through Fridays, 11:00AM-4:00PM Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays
4. Karen Kagoshima
Lovers of beef and pork shabu shabu would be utterly pleased when they dine in this restaurant. For one, the interior of the restaurant is sleek and charming, and the beef and pork are cooked soft, tender, and juicy. The other ingredients are also of the best quality while the service is prompt and excellent.
- Name:Karen Kagoshima
- Address:3-12 Yamanokuchicho, Kagoshima 892-0844, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:5,000-10,000 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:30AM-2:00PM and 5:30PM-11:00PM
- Telephone:+81 99-223-8877
5.Aji no Tonkatsu Maruichi
Fall in love with Katsu all over again as this restaurant is literally jampacked with pork and prawn katsu lovers. The katsu may look darker than the usual but the meat is delectable and very tasty. The servings are also quite huge and each order could actually fill the appetites of 2 very hungry people.
- Name: Aji no Tonkatsu Maruichi
- Address: Kagoshima Chuo Bldg. B1 1-10 Yamanokuchicho, Kagoshima 892-0844, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:1,000-2,000 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:30AM-2:00PM and 5:00PM-9:00PM
6. Kagomma Furusato Yataimura
This place is a combination of 30 Japanese eateries all found in one place. Locals love to hang out here! Each food stall has a delicacy or two of choice such as unagi, kama kaarage, black pork – all nibbled with beer and in the company of friends. This is the perfect chill-out place in Kagoshima!
- Name: Kagoma Furusato Yataimura
- Address: 6-4 Chuocho, Kagoshima 890-0053, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:600-1500 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:00AM-2:00PM and 6:00PM-12:00 Midnight
- Telephone:+81 99-255-1588
- Website: http://www.kagoshima-gourmet.jp/#_=_
7. Mekkemon, Dolphin Port
This is the best place to visit in Kagoshima for the ultimate sushi experience. The restaurant specializes in the so-called “rotating sushi” and you are guaranteed that the fish are always fresh and delectable! Prices are also very, very reasonable.
- Name: Mekkemon, Dolphin Port
- Address: 5-4 Honkoshimmachi | 1F Dolphin Port, Kagoshima 892-0814, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:1,000-2,000 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:00AM-2:00PM and 5:00PM-9:00 PM
- Telephone:+81 99-219-4550
- Website: http://www.jf-group.co.jp/restaurant/mekkemon/#_=_
This restaurant is the benchmark when it comes to black pork shabu shabu. No other restaurant comes close. The broth is tangy in flavor and the pork is just deliciously divine. Reservations are recommended as this restaurant is always full.
- Name: Ajimori
- Address: 13-21 Sennichicho, Kagoshima 892-0843 , Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:4,000-8,000 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:30AM-2:30PM and 5:30PM-9:30 PM
- Telephone:+81 992247634
- Website: http://adimori.com/#_=_
This is where you get your ultimate pork ramen fix! No other restaurant can give you a ramen experience the way Tontoro Ramen does. The broth is just the tastiest and the pork melts in your mouth as you take it in. Prices are also very affordable.
- Name: Tontoro Ramen
- Address: 9-41 Yamanokuchicho, Kagoshima, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:1,000-2,000 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:0AM-Midnight
- Telephone: +81 99-222-5857
10. Tenmonkan Mujaki Migiwaidoriten
Kagoshima’s climate is warm and with a lot of bright sunny days. This is why locals and tourists alike have taken a great liking of slushes. This dessert place gives its guests an overview of Kagoshima’s vibrant agricultural produce – as fruits, beans, and everything in between combine to create a deliciously satisfying mix of sweet, cool, and candy-sweetness just like a kindergarten coloring book.
- Name: Tenmonkan Mujaki Migiwaidoriten
- Address: 13-8 Higashisengokucho, Kagoshima 892-0842, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Price:700-1,400 Yen
- Opening hours: 11:0AM-10:00PM
- Telephone: +81 99-224-6718
- Website: http://mujyaki.co.jp/mujyaki/index#_=_
Kagoshima is indeed a barrage of flavors and colors that are not only a feast for the eyes but a fest for the stomach. Indeed, you can only truly understand the way of life and unique culture of this place if you let your taste buds explore Kagoshima’s many facets and gastronomical treats.
Have a good trip and travel!