Kobe Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association introduced the trademark of Kobe Beef. Why this beef is so special and most of the time pricey? Certain requirements are met to produce its quality. Rooting from the traditions of Tajima cattle raising in the Hyogo Prefecture, the beef produced have a unique taste, tender and have a marbled appearance. The cattle are well taken care of. Ranchers pamper the cows by feeding them grain fodder and brushing their coats. Some legends say that the Kobe cows would live like a king. Think of cows sharing a bottle or a barrel of beer while being massaged with rice wine with some music in the background. Though these are just stories that come out then and again, you get the picture.
The restaurants serving Kobe Beef play an important role. They too need to set a requirement to bring out the beef’s maximum flavor. If they cook it right, it is worth every penny, if they do not, then it is bland and not worth it.
Find out in this article the best restaurants where you can have a helping of Kobe’s most famous delicacy.
Jump at the opportunity when you get to Kobe and you find a reasonably priced Kobe Beef meal. Kissho offers a culinary experience that you will not forget. The restaurant’s chef will wow you with his masterpiece. You can watch over the counter while he whips a marvelous Kobe beef teppanyaki course. The restaurant offers lunch and dinner. Aside from cash, they also accept American Express, MasterCard, and Visa credit cards. Wine and beer is a great match for your meal, which they also serve.
- Name: Kissho Grill
- Address: 4-8 2 F Kobe – shi Hyogo, Japan 650-0022
- Price: ¥ 200 – ¥ 12000
- Phone: +81 78-391-1377
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 11 am – 11 pm
- Website: www.grill-kissho.com/top
2. Steak Land
You will definitely keep coming back for Steak Land’s melt-in-the-mouth Kobe Beef recipes. Steak Land will not disappoint. This place is easier to locate. Consider a minute to a 3-minute walk if you are coming from the exits of JR Tokaido Sanyo Main Line Sannomiya West, Hanshin Main Line Sannomiya, or Hankyo Kobe Line Kobe Sannomiya Station West. The restaurant’s interior is European style and a little bit cramped. Its proximity to the stations invites more tourists and visitors so you may need to wait in line for about 5 to 10 minutes to get inside the restaurant.
- Name: Steak Land
- Address: Kitanagasadori, 1−8−2 Prefecture, Kobe, Chuo Ward, 650-0021 Hyogo, Japan
- Price: ¥ 1000 – ¥ 10,000
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 11 am – 10 pm
- Phone: +81 78-332-1653
- Website: www.steakland.jp
Wakkoqu is one of the best places to try Kobe beef dishes. The Kitano (Hillside Terrace) and the Shin-Kobe (Oriental Avenue) Wakkoqu restaurants offer diners not only the famous dishes of Kobe beef but also a great place to unwind and relax. While listening to music, the diners can choose the ingredients of their meal. The chef prepares the meal with expertise in front of his audience. Cuts of Kobe Beef are roasted on large iron plates. The chefs are also willing to give advice on which seasoning you can add for flavor, most of the time they first recommend to add just a dash of crude salt for your first bite to bring out the richness of your steak.
- Name: Wakkoqu
- Address: 3rd fl, Shin Kōbe Oriental Avenue shopping mall, 1-1 Kitano-chō
- Price: ¥ 2900 – ¥ 7500
- Access: Seishin-Yamate line or JR San-yō Shinkansen to Shin-Kōbe
- Opening hour: 11:45 am – 10 pm
- Phone: +81 78 262 2838
- Website: www.wakkoqu.com/shin-kobe.html
4. Ishida Kitanozaka
Ishida Kitanozaka is located 5 minutes from the Kobe Sannomiya Station. If you have been hearing about Kobe Beef and wanting to know its origins, go to this restaurant. The staff is friendly and willing enough to share the history of Kobe Beef with pride. They also teach you the right way to eat your meal. You will definitely get the best of your stay in the restaurant.
- Name: Ishida Kitanozaka
- Address: 4-7-11 Kanocho Chuo-Ku | Palais Kitanozaka 1F, Kobe 650-0001, Hyogo Prefecture
- Price: ¥ 2800 – ¥ 8800
- Opening hour: Tue – Sun 11:30 am – 3 pm – 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Phone: +81 78-599-5029
5. Kobe beef BBQ Yazawa
Not quite popular with online reviews, Kobe Beef BBQ Yazawa speaks volumes through word of mouth. The crowd builds up during lunchtime in this quaint restaurant. Only a local would know how awesome this place is if you are looking for a place to enjoy the famed Kobe Beef. Therefore, we are writing about it, so its reputation gets through each visitor and travelers of Kobe. You can also check the awards the restaurant was able to get for winning the best beef done deliciously right. The restaurant’s manager would be happy to share the trophies with you for some photo op.
- Name: Kobe beef BBQ Yazawa
- Address: 2-3-1, Sannomiyacho, Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo
- Price: ¥ 2,500 – ¥ 10,000
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 11 am – 3 pm – 5 pm – 1030 pm
- Phone: +81 78-392-0038
- Website: www.koubegyuu.com
6. Kobe Plaisir
‘Plaisir’ meaning, ‘Full Enjoyment’ in French is what the restaurant exemplifies. Located in the Hotel B’Kobe at Shimoyama Street, the restaurant boasts of an elegant and relaxing interior. Unlike the modest sized restaurants in the city, this place offers enough space appropriate for your dining preferences. The private rooms can accommodate small parties with space for entertaining. Shabu-shabu and Seiru-mushi (Bamboo Steamer Dish) is an elongated room where the diners can enjoy hotpot. The Kobe Beef steaks are prepared in the steak station, a cozy nook in the corner of the room.
- Name: Kobe Plaisir
- Address: HOTEL the b’ kobe 1F, 2-11-5 Shimoyamate St, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0011 Japan
- Price: ¥ 2000 – ¥ 23,000
- Access:From Sannomiya Station (JR, Hanshin, Hankyu lines), 5 min. on foot
From West Exit of Sannomiya Station (Kobe subway), 1 min. on foot
From Shin-Kobe Station (JR Shinkansen lines), About 15 min. by car
- Opening hour: Tue – Sun 1130 am – 3 pm, 5 pm – 1030 pm
- Phone: +81 78-571-0141
- Website www.kobe-plaisir.jp
7. Mopr Kobe Beef Steak Restaurant
Mopr Kobe Beef Steak Restaurant prides itself on serving quality beef coming from their contractual ranch in Yabu City. The cows are pureblood Tajima Cows that has never given birth and that are butchered when they are less than 32 months old. This careful selection explains the tender and marbled beef that this restaurant offers. The restaurant continuously hikes the price, which is the downside of it. However, if you want quality, you will have to take the price that comes with it.
- Name: Mopr Kobe Beef Steak Restaurant
- Address: 650-0021 Hyogo Prefecture, Kobe, Chuo Ward, Sannomiyacho, 2 Chome−11−1 B1F
- Price: ¥ 3000 – ¥17,000
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 11 am – 10 pm
- Phone: +81 78 392 7099
- Website: www.mouriya.co.jp
8. Red Rock
— Hiroyuki. M (@Mat_Kobe) October 19, 2015
If you find yourself hungry in Sannomiya shopping district, find the Red Rock restaurant. The place is easy to locate. From the Hankyu West Gate Exit, walk to the direction of Motomachi and find the restaurant’s big sign. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner until midnight. If you decide to go to Red Rock, expect a long line starting from the shopping area. It is worth the wait when you see the big portions of beef in your meal. All made of Kobe Beef, try the loco moco, steaks, and roast beef.
- Name: Red Rock
- Address: 1-31-33 Kitanagasadori, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0012, Hyogo Prefecture
- Price: ¥ 1000 – ¥ 4000
- Access: Hankyu Sannomiya west entrance underpass
within a 10 -minute walk from the Sannomiya , Motomachi
140m from Kobe Station ( Hankyu )
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat 1130 am – 12 am, Sun 1130 am -11 pm
- Phone: 078-334-1030
- Website: www.redrock-kobebeef.com
9. Steak Aoyama
Steak Aoyama has perfected steaks from way back 1963. Situated along Tor Road, this restaurant presents a cozy ambience that is best for a relaxing meal. If you cannot choose between the many choices in the menu, we recommend that you try the Kobe Beef set. It has a little bit of everything, from the Kobe Beef roasted to perfection, to appetizers, grilled vegetables, and soup. To satisfy your palate, get a goblet of wine imported from Hungary.
- Name: Steak Aoyama
- Address: Kobe Chuo-ku Shimoyamate-dori 2-14-5 Eiwa Buildin
- Price: ¥5000 – ¥ 9000
- Access: Approx. 8-minute walk east from the East Exit of JR Motomachi Station, then north on Tor Road
- Opening hour: Thu – Tue 12 pm – 10pm
- Phone: 078-391-4858
- Website: www.steakaoyama.com
10. Kobe Misono
The original home of the Teppanyaki Steak goes to Misono Restaurant. In 1945, this restaurant opened its doors to diners and brought this delectable dish to popularity. Today, the ambience will remind you of the 80’s although this is already a restored building. An earthquake damaged the original restaurant in 1995, which led the owners to do a major overhaul of the buildings. It could be pricey to go to Misono but if you have the budget for it for that special occasion, then go for it. You will not regret the food, the serving, and the accommodation of the friendly staff.
- Name: Kobe Misono
- Address: 1-1-2 Shimoyamatedori, Chuo-ku | Misono building 7.8F, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture
- Price: ¥ 2,500 – ¥ 30,000
- Access: 2 minutes on foot after turning north from the West exit of Sannomiya Station on the Hankyu Kobe Main Line
- Opening hour: Sun – Mon 1130 am – 230 pm, 5 pm -10 pm
- Phone: +81 78-331-2890
- Website: www.misono.org
You have just uncovered some of Kobe’s best restaurants serving Kobe Beef. Some would say that this is one of the things to cross on their bucket list. Some would also say that having this perfect red meat is ‘life changing.’ Some will say that it is too pricey and not worth a penny. Whatever strikes your fancy, anytime you feel like going for that mouth watering goodness they call Kobe Beef, you have this list.
Have a good trip and travel!