Source: Jordi Sanchez Teruel
For a city that is often regarded by many as “The Culinary Capital of the Islands,” it won’t be surprising to know that Osaka is referred to as the city of “Kui-dao-re,” which in Japanese means “eat until you drop.” Suffice to say; almost every prefecture in Japan is packed with variety and flavors, attracting millions of food lovers around the world. But the food culture of Osaka is unmatched with extraordinary culinary offerings, and sushi is at the center of it. Trying sushi in Japan is no big deal, but Osaka is where you’d like to be, for the best sushi experience.
1. Endo Sushi
The search for the best sushi in Osaka ends at this 100-year-old beloved sushi restaurant. Endo Sushi is probably the only place open at odd hours, owing to its prime location within the Osaka Central Fish market. Despite the wait in the long queue, Endo’s sushi it totally worth it – the sushi, without exception, is delicious and that wondrous feeling only comes with fresh fish.
- Name: Endo Sushi
- Address: 1-1-86 Noda Fukushima-ku Osaka City
- Access: 10 minutes from JR Noda station/10 minute from subway Sennichimae Tamagawa station.
- Opening Hour: Mon-Sat 05:00-14:00
- Website: http://www.endo-sushi.com/
2. Koyoshi Sushi
Somewhere in downtown Osaka, the Koyoshi offers the best, authentic sushi experience in Osaka. This 50-year-old restaurant is run by an old couple, Mr and Mrs Yano, at the corner of a street. The tiny food bar only accommodates around 12 people at a time, so be prepared to squeeze your way down. But once you’re all set, enjoy the flavors. Everything here is extremely fresh and delicious. Happy Eating!
- Name: Koyoshi Sushi
- Address: 1-3-12 Shibata Kita-Ku, Osaka
- Access: 3 minutes from Hankyu Umeda station
- Opening Hour: Mon –Sat 18:00-23:00
3. Yakko Sushi
Located on the famous Tenjinbashisuji shopping street, the longest shopping street in Japan, Yakko is a perfect choice to enjoy delicious sushi and Japanese food at reasonable prices. There are many sushi restaurants in the surrounding areas, however, Yakko stands out from the rest not only because of its excellent sushi offering, but the friendly staff.
- Name: Yakko Sushi
- Address: 5-6-22,Tenjinbashi,Kita-ku,Osaka
- Access: 10 minutes from Subway Sakaisuji-line Ogimachi station
- Opening Hour: Mon-Wed, Fri-Sun 12:00-22:00
4. Hontozushi Kaiba
A small and casual restaurant located in the fashionable district of Kitahorie, which is mostly preferred by the locals. Hontozushi Kaiba serves delicious sushi at affordable rates in comparison to other similar establishments in the area. If you don’t speak Japanese, go for the ‘omakase course’ of either 10 or 16 pieces of sushi, as suggested by the chef.
- Name: Hontozushi Kaiba
- Address: 1-15-22,Kitahorie,Nishi-ku,Osaka
- Access: 5 minutes from Subway Yotsubashi-line Yotsubashi station 6 exit
- Opening Hour: Mon-Sat 16:00-23:30
5. Shinakashi Sushi
The restaurant is a bit pricey as compared to other sushi restaurants in the area, but Shinakashi is just the place where you want to go if you are a big fan of tuna. It features a range of incredibly fresh culinary offerings with a variety of ingredients, making up for one of the best sushi food joints in Osaka.
- Name: Shinakashi Sushi
- Address: 2-4-11 Higashishinsaibashi Chuo-ku Osaka Osaka
- Access: 5 minutes from Midoduji-line Shinsaibashi station 6 exit
6. Tsukiji Sushisay
Fresh fish, expert sushi chef, wide variety of dishes, friendly staff and a pleasant environment make this wonderful sushi joint, the perfect place to enjoy the authentic sushi experience. On the 14th floor of Daimaru Umeda Departmental store, this decent restaurant is a nice place to sit and relax after shopping.
- Name: Tsukiji Sushisay
- Address: 3 Chome-1-1 Umeda, Kita Ward, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 530-8202, Japan
7. Sushi Hayata
Very homely and unique sushi restaurant that rivals many others in Osaka, the Sushi Hayata is owned and operated by the Hayata brothers. Enjoy the finest sushi experience at the Hayata, thanks to the wonderful chefs and the friendly staff. Located next to the St. Regis Hotel, this is a charming place with the perfect balance of fish, rice and wasabi.
- Name: Sushi Hayata
- Address: 3-5-4 Minamihonmachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- Access: next to St. Regis Hotel and Honmachi Station
Osaka has a colorful history that spans over thousands of years, and its culinary scene offers a range of possibilities for a bite of authentic cuisine, and sushi is not an exception.
Have a good trip and travel!