Recife is a nice town to do some shopping, especially for those who like to buy crafts and souvenirs. Tourists traveling to Recife have the opportunity to buy typical products of the region, such as the roll cake and cashew nuts, for great prices, as well as pieces of lace clothing, objects carved in wood or molded in clay. The literature of Cordel and leather pieces are also interesting options. Here are 7 best places to go for shopping in Recife.
1. Mercado de Artesanato de Pernambuco
Source: Prefeitura de Olinda
Mercado de Artesanato de Pernambuco, which translates to the Pernambuco Craft Market opened recently and has become one of the best options for shopping in the town. The place is suitable for those who like to find different items in one place. There is a bit of everything in the store from works in clay to wood, from fabric to metal-carved sculptures.
- Name: Mercado de Artesanato de Pernambuco
- Address: Armazém 11, próximo ao Marco Zero, Recife Antigo, Recife – PE
- Opening hour: 10:00 – 20:00
- Phone: 8131813450
- Website: http://www.artesanatodepernambuco.pe.gov.br/
2. Feirinha de Boa Viagem
Source: Sebástian Freire
Feirinha de Boa Viagem is situated in Boa Viagem Square. The market is divided into two parts- one for the local handicrafts, clothes, and gifts; another dedicated to edibles, where you can have tapioca, sandwiches, sweets and other street foods. Each seller opens its stalls at a different time, but the market mainly runs between 4 pm and 10 pm.
- Name: Feirinha de Boa Viagem
- Address: Praça de Boa Viagem, Boa Viagem, Recife – PE
- Website: http://www.turismonorecife.com.br/pt-br/o-que-fazer/atracoes/artesanato-e-compras/feirinha-de-boa-viagem
3. Casa da Cultura
Source: Delma Paz
The Culture House is an old Recife prison, which had been closed for about 40 years, and now works as a tourist attraction. The site, built on the Panoptic principle, has been renovated and now houses craft shops and offices. Each cell has become a shop, where you can find shops that sell nuts, fabrics, home furnishings, and clothing.
- Name: Casa da Cultura
- Address: R. Floriano Peixoto, 905, Santo Antônio, Recife – PE, 50020-060, Brazil
- Opening hour: 9 am-7 pm
- Phone: +55 81 3224-0557
- Website: http://www.casadaculturape.com.br/
4. Mercado São José
Source: Damiao Santana
The São José Market is a popular and busy area and is one of the best places in town for those looking for crafts or souvenirs. The advantage of visiting the São José market is that it brings together a wide variety of shops, allowing the visitor to find a bit of everything in one place- fresh fish and seafood, leather goods, magnets, lacy fabrics, wooden ornaments, memories of the city and other local handicrafts.
- Name: Mercado São José
- Address: Praça Don Vital, s/nº, São José, Recife – PE, 50020-060, Brazil
- Opening hour: 9 am-3 pm
- Phone: +55 34244681
5. Paço Alfândega
Source: Cleiton Martins
Paço Alfândega, which means Palace Customs was the convent and customs of Recife in the past. Today, it is one of the most charming shopping centers in Recife. Its interior still retains a mix of rustic and modern structure, recalling the origins of the eighteenth-century building. It has a small food court, which offers decent options of dinner and snacks.
- Name: Paço Alfândega
- Address: Rua Alfandega, 35, Recife, Pernambuco, Brasil
- Opening hour: 12:00 – 21:00
- Phone: 81 3194 2100
- Website: http://www.pacoalfandega.com.br/
6. Shopping Recife
Source: Fm P@s
Inaugurated in 1980, Shopping Recife was the first shopping mall in northeastern Brazil. Through various expansion and modernization projects, has become the fourth largest mall in the country and one of the largest in Latin America. It has over 400 stores, seventeen restaurants, four areas of Food Court and ten cinemas, and event space and an area for art exhibitions. It is six blocks from Boa Viagem beach and five minutes from the Recife International Airport and, some of the main thoroughfares of the city.
- Name: Shopping Recife
- Address: R. Pe. Carapuceiro, 777 | Boa Viagem,Recife, Pernambuco 51020-900, Brasil
- Opening hour: 12:00 – 21:00
- Phone: +55 8134646000
- Website: http://www.shoppingrecife.com.br/
7. Shopping Rio Mar
Source: Abdias Jr
Shopping Rio Mar is the newest mall of Recife and one of the largest in Brazil. It has over 350 stores including 18 anchor stores of different types. This shopping center is a pioneer in the luxury market in Northeast Brazil, uniting the internationally famous brands like Diesel, Prada, Burberry, Coach, Dolce & Gabbana, Emporio Armani, and Calvin Klein, with major Brazilian brands, such as Ricardo Almeida, Daslu, and many others.
- Name: Shopping Rio Mar
- Address: Avenida República do Líbano, 251, Recife, Pernambuco 51110-160, Brasil
- Phone: +55 81 3878 0000
- Website: http://riomarrecife.com.br/
Have a good trip and travel!