San Francisco is a beautiful city, every person should visit at least once in a lifetime. We thought it might be interesting for you to know some tours to experience in San Francisco, so we made up this list of the top 15 tours. Enjoy!
1. Alcatraz Tour
One of the famous San Francisco`s tours you really need to visit is Alcatraz. Immerse yourself in the history of a famous jail. Hear real life stories, learn about inglorious inmates that have tried to escape, watch a documentary about legendary prisoners like Al Capone and George “Machine Gun” Kelly.
This tour isn’t only about seeing old prison, it’s also about feeling the city. On the way to Alcatraz, you will enjoy remarkable views of Golden Gate Bridge, Angel Island, Bay Bridge and the Ellis Island on the West.
The tour to Alcatraz is very popular so be prepared to purchase tickets as soon as possible, up to 90 days.
- Name: Alcatraz Tour
- Address: Ferries depart Pier 33, near Fisherman’s Wharf
- Price: Park admission $26 – $58 (adults)
- Opening hour: Open daily; tour boats depart San Francisco 9:10am – 6:45pm (shorter hours in winter)
- Website: http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/
2. Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
Run away from the city bustle to San Francisco`s famous wine country. Let yourself feel like a real gourmet wine enjoying three different wineries in Napa and Sonoma. Take a chance to learn about winemaking process while visiting barrel rooms and vineyards. The whole time you will be accompanied by a marvelous landscape and a sweet flavor of wine. At the end of the tour we recommend you to stop for a dinner in adorable Yountville.
- Name: Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
- Address: 2627 Taylor Street
- Price: $88
- Duration: 8 hours
3. California Academy of Science
California academy of science has a perfect location in Golden Gate park, take a tour to the amazing museum that has a planetarium, aquarium, and rainforest in one building.
Step inside the real four-story rainforest and take a look of its inhabitants like chameleons, butterflies, piranhas and croaking frogs.
California Academy of Science has one of the biggest aquariums in the US. 500, 00 gallons of water and unbelievable colorful fish and exotic marine life.
- Name: California Academy of Science
- Address: 55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park
- Price: $35
- Opening hour: 9:30am-5pm Monday to Saturday
- Website: http://www.calacademy.org/
4. Muir Woods and Sausalito Tour
The Coastal Sequoias are the tallest trees on the world, that are located at the Muir Woods. You have the unique chance to see this world`s miracle only here, along the Northern California coast. During the tour, you’ll explore ancient redwood while walking around the forest or climbing the hills. We bet, that you’ll see the most breathtaking views into your life.
The second part of the tour is waterfront town Sausalito. This place has a gorgeous Mediterranean-style village, town full of art galleries, old-fashioned shops and waterfront restaurants. It is the best end of a tour you can have, isn’t it?
- Name: Muir Woods and Sausalito Tour
- Address: 2627 Taylor Street
- Price: $50-$60
- Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
5. Yosemite National Park Tour
Yosemite is a real pearl of the national parks. Let`s your dreams come true, hike to the most famous mountains in the US, like El Capitan or Tuolumne Grove. This place is surrounded by ancient Sequoias and marvelous Yosemite Falls.
You can enjoy your tour as you want. There are bike trails through full valley, river`s spot for swimming and path for hiking. In the middle of the valley, you’ll find Visitor’s center where you can have rest, find bathroom or stock up with water.
- Name: Yosemite National Park Tour
- Tour departs from: East Bay BART stations: West Oakland BART and Dublin Pleasanton BART
- Price: $160
- Duration: 14 hours (approx.)
6. Monterey-Carmel Tour
Number one nature beauty San Francisco`s tour. Travel across scenic California’s Pacific Coast Highway to a beautiful Monterey. During the tour you’ll enjoy epic ocean views, plentiful wildlife and historical past.
While traveling you’ll take a break at the marvelous stop – Cannery Row, where you can find different shops, restaurants with a view on Pacific Ocean. What can be more romantic? And of course, you’ll join the main spot at the Cannery – Monterey Aquarium.
Tour continuous to the charming Carmel, where you can walk along magnificent architecture and take breathtaking photos of yours.
- Name: Monterey-Carmel Tour
- Address: 2627 Taylor Street
- Price: $85
- Duration: 11 hours (approx.)
7. San Francisco Bay Sunset Cruise Tour
Watch San Francisco from a new perspective, take a sunset cruise. During the tour you’ll enjoy magnificent views of the city. Golden Gate, Alcatraz island, Sausalito and Marina district. Feel the beauty of the life, while sipping a wine and looking at the gorgeous sunset of the bay.
You’ll hear unique history about the bay area, see San Francisco’s waterfront and landmarks. You can enjoy this trip indoor or outdoor at the boat.
- Name: San Francisco Bay Sunset Cruise Tour
- Address: Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 43
- Price: $65
8. San Francisco`s Night Tour
Plunge into the night lights of San Francisco. New and efficient way to see the city. Tour includes the most famous places like Golden Gate, Chinatown, Financial district and Embarcadero. You can take the best night time panoramic photos of the city skylines at the Treasure island.
Highlights of the city can vary according to the season, traffic or weather. The most beautiful night time lights are during the holiday season on December. You really need to try this tour!
- Name: San Francisco`s Night Tour
- Address: Fisherman’s Wharf (Stop 1)
- Price: $30
- Departing from: 6:30pm, 7:00pm, 7:30pm.
9. Aquarium of the Bay Tour
Discover Marine life in the most famous aquarium. 700,000 gallons of the water and 20,000 sea and ocean inhabitants. You’ll see different kinds of sea animal from octopi to giant sharks. There is any place to be bored, aquarium has many different zones, where you can touch bat rays, skate and “splash zone” animals.
Tour includes three big zones: Beauty of the Bay, where you meet the most colorful sea animals from bay area. Swirling school of anchovies and Bay babies. Did you know that the Aquarium of the Bay is a nursery ground for many fish species?
- Name: Aquarium of the Bay Tour
- Address: Pier 39, 2 Beach St
- Price: $22
- Opening hour:10am-6pm
- Website: https://www.aquariumofthebay.org/
10. Madame Tussauds Tour
Explore the most famous wax museum in the world. This is the place where you can meet celebrities, movie stars, historic humanitarians, religious icons and other famous people. This is one of the funniest tours, imagine yourself sitting near George Clooney or take a hug with J.Lo, by the way you can make as many photos with figures as you need.
- Name: Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
- Address: 145 Jefferson St
- Price: $22
- Opening hour:10am-9pm
- Website: https://www2.madametussauds.com/san-francisco/
11. The San Francisco Dungeon
If you are looking for unique tour, you are in the right place. The San Francisco Dungeon is the place where the dark past of the city wakes up. You will be introduced to 9 live shows:
· The Descent
· Gold Rush Greed
· Lost Mines of Sutter’s Mill
· Streets of San Francisco
· The Court of San Francisco
· Miss Piggott’s Saloon
· Shanghai Kelly Show
· Chinatown Plague Street
· The Ghosts of Alcatraz
This tour not only shows you, it involves you to the stories. During the tour, you can take a part in the one of the darkest stories.
- Name: The San Francisco Dungeon
- Address: 145 Jefferson St
- Price: $20-$38
- Opening hour: 11:30am-9pm
- Website: https://sanfrancisco.thedungeons.com/
12. San Francisco Helicopter Tour
If you are tired from traditional tours, you need to try this one. Fly over the city in a helicopter. During the tour, you can see places from a different view, that you can’t do at the ground. Watch incredible views of Golden Gates, Alcatraz, Fisherman’s Wharf and the Bay and this is only a little part of marvelous views you`ll see. Sit and enjoy your tour with musical accompaniment and unique stories about the city of San Francisco.
- Name: San Francisco Helicopter Tour
- Price: $235
- Duration: 30 min
13. San Francisco Golden Gate Bike Tour
Another one non-traditional tour in San Francisco. Perfect choice for tourists as well as for locals. It`s a great chance to bike through Golden Gate National Recreation Area and take the most beautiful photos while following the waterfront of the San Francisco Bay. When you reach the point at the Sausalito, you’ll be on your own to continue exploring the city as you want.
Relax and enjoy the beauty of the city while riding a bike.
- Name: San Francisco Golden Gate Bike Tour
- Address: Fisherman’s Wharf
- Price: $55
- Duration: Flexible
14. Classic San Francisco Bike Tour
Explore the city by one of the classic ways. Take a bike and start your city-journey with highly professional local guide. Your tour will begin in Hayes Valley, after exploring every single famous landmark of the city. While biking, you are able to take stops for a rest and take photos of you and magnificent places of the city.
Your guide will schedule a big break for a lunch, where you can taste local cuisine. When the tour goes to the end, you will return to the departure point.
- Name: Classic San Francisco Bike Tour
- Address: Hayes Valley, San Francisco
- Price: $90
- Duration: 4.5 to 5-hours (approx.)
15. San Francisco Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour
Explore the city like a classic tourist on Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour. Comfortable bus with a professional guide showing and telling you everything you need to know about historical and famous landmarks of San Francisco. There will be 16 stops through the tour, in the most beautiful and historically significant places in San Francisco. These are some of them: Marina, Little Italy, Chinatown, Palace of Fine Arts etc. Plunge into the history of San Francisco with Hop-On and Hop-Off tour.
- Name: San Francisco Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour
- Departure: You may board the bus at any of the 17 stops around the city.
- Price: $40
- Duration: 1-day pass / 2-day pass
We hope you enjoyed reading these 15 tours you should experience in San Francisco. So, you will know what to do while traveling to San Francisco.
Have a good trip and travel!