Source: George Alexander Ishida Newman
Sendai is the capital city of the Tōhoku region in Japan. It is famous not only for its history that goes back to 1600, but also for a huge variety of activities provided to locals and travelers. When it comes to restaurants and cafés, for example, Sendai offers more than 5000 places to choose from. To save you some time we chose 10 best restaurants worth your visit.
1. Aji Tasuke
Keishiro Sano, the founder of Aji Tasuke was the one who invented the beef tongue dish. In the 50s he came with the idea of serving a salted beef tongue cooked on fire. Half a century later you still can get a bite of the dish for ¥1,400. Today the place is under the management of Keishiro Sano’s son, so not much changed since the first day of the restaurant. It is a cozy place with a dozen of tables ready for you to be seated.
- Local Name: 味太助本店
- Address: 4-4-13 Ichiban-cho, Aoba-ku
- Opening hours: 11:30am-10pm
- Best Dish: gyûtan (beef tongue)
- Website: http://www.aji-tasuke.co.jp/
Hokushinzushi is a very casual place for those who want to get a taste of the traditional Japanese food. Even though it is a standing bar, don’t miss the opportunity to grab a bite there. Professional chefs have been taking care of the quality of food for many years which is why this place has been in the top 1o lists for a while. It is your choice if you are looking for a reasonably priced restaurant that offers delicious meals.
- Local Name: 北辰鮨
- Address: 1-1-1 Aoba-ku Chuo | 3F Sendai Station
- Opening hours: 10am-10:30pm
- Best Dish: sushi to go
- Website: http://www.hokushin-suisan.co.jp/tenpo/miyagi_07.html
3. Zunda Saryo
Zunda Saryo is famous for serving one of the Sendai specialties called zunda. It is sweet green paste added to traditional desserts. The restaurant offers many varieties of tea, coffee and, obviously, zunda. If you decide to pop in, make sure you ordered zunda anmitsu with jelly and fruit. Zunda Saryo offers take-out and is highly popular with the locals, so be ready to spend 5 minutes queuing up for the treat.
- Local Name:ずんだ茶寮
- Address: 980-0021 Sendai, Aoba Ward, Chuo 1-1-1 Sendai Station West Exit 1st Floor
- Best Dish: zunda znmitsu
- Opening hours: 10am-8:30pm
- Website: http://zundasaryo.com
4. Seafood Bistro Yamarai Ichibancho
Yamarai Ichibancho follows the best traditions of seafood cuisine. Products for the dishes are fresh, provided by the Sanriku harbors. The restaurant’s chef is a highly qualified professional who had experience in Europe. One of the many advantages is the availability of the English menu.
- Local Name: 海鮮ビストロ・ヤマライ 一番町
- Address: 3-8-4 Ichibancho, Aoba-ku | B1F Taiga Bldg
- Opening hours: 11:30am-10:30pm
- Website: http://www.bistro-yamarai.com/en/index.html
If you are looking for some grandeur, Hoshiyamakohi is your first choice. For some reasons it is not known among tourists, but Sendai locals adore the place. It is the perfect option for an intimate talk with a friend or colleague over a cup of tea surrounded by chic and exquisite design.
- Local Name: ホシヤマ珈琲
- Address: 1-3-1 Chuo, Aobaku | AER, 2nd Floor
- Opening hours: 11:30am-8:30pm
- Best Dish: tea with any dessert
- Website: http://www.hoshiyama.co.jp/company.html
6. T’s Tantan, Sendai S-Pal
T’s Tantan, Sendai S-Pal is a fully vegan restaurant that offers Chinese and Japanese traditional food. Prices are reasonable, and your bill for two people will be around ¥3,000. If you are not sure about the choice, order a set so you could try many things. Even if you are not vegan, this place is worth a visit.
- Local Name: T’sたんたん 仙台エスパル店
- Address: 1-1-1 Chuo, Aoba-ku | B1F Sendai S-Pal
- Opening hours: 10am – 10pm
- Best Dish: tantanmen
- Website: http://ts-restaurant.jp/tantan/
7. Rikyu Kitamemachi-brunch
Rikyu Kitamemachi is a place for meat-lovers. You’ll find many dishes to choose from. Don’t be afraid to make a mistake because it is impossible, since the whole menu is delicious and nourishing. A glass of wine and a beef tongue, what could be better? This is a perfect restaurant for a family dinner or a night out with your date.
- Local Name: 牛たん炭焼 利久 北目町店
- Address: 4-9-7 Chuo, Aoba-ku, 980-0021
- Opening hours: 10am-10:30pm
- Best Dish: beef tongue
- Website: http://www.rikyu-gyutan.co.jp
8. Tanya Zenjirou
Tanya Zenjirou is another restaurant known for appetizing beef. If you are a first-timer, get a beef set or a beef tongue. Tanya can be full on weekends and holidays but you won’t be disappointed after you’ve tried any of their dishes. The interior is extremely cozy and comfortable, making you wish to stay longer. This place the one for meeting up with friends and staying there for the whole evening.
- Local Name: たんや 善治郎
- Address: 1-1-1 Chuo, Aoba-ku,
- Best Dish: beef set
- Opening hours: 11am-11pm
- Website: http://www.tanya-zenjirou.jp
9. Gyutan-ryori Kaku
Gyutan-ryori Kaku is a well designed restaurant that serves all the food perfectly cooked. Even though the staff doesn’t speak proper English, they will take care of you and your order. Pay attention to the menu with pictures that might be useful to make an order if your waiter isn’t very good at languages. Sake, meat and vegetables is probably the most goluptious combination of food you can have there. One more detail that you should consider before going there is that smoking is allowed in the restaurant.
- Local Name: 牛タン料理 閣
- Address: 3-8-14 Ichiban-cho, Aoba-ku | Floor B1
- Opening hours: 10am-10:30pm
- Best dish: beef
- Website: http://kaku.in/#_=_
10. Kotora Sendaiekimaeten
Kotora Sendaiekimaetan is a hot business spot. Since they offer a good choice of business lunches during the day, people keep coming to them after work. The place is popular with the locals, which is perfect for those who want to blend in and feel the atmosphere of Sendai. There is a very convenient parking next to the restaurant, so if you drove to the place, it is an advantage. Again, we can’t avoid recommending meat, since it is very professionally cooked there. Hope you’ll enjoy it.
- Local Name: 仔虎 仙台駅前店
- Address: 1-6-1 Chuo Aoba-ku | 8 Fields Herc Sendai
- Best Dish: meat
- Opening hours: 11am-11:30pm
- Website: http://team-toranomon.com/#_=_
Sendai is a treasure for food-lovers since there are a lot of restaurants and cafes offering traditional and international cuisine. Save our recommendations for the upcoming trip so you don’t get lost in numerous menu cards over there.
Have a good trip and travel!