Sasebo in Japan is known for its beautiful views and history in past wars. If you are curious as to World War II, then Sasebo is a great destination in Japan to learn more about it. Mix in all the nature and you will find yourself having a getaway of your dreams. Here is what we recommend you see and do while in Sasebo.
1. Huis Ten Bosch
A visit to Sasebo would not be complete without visiting the main attraction – Huis Ten Bosch. It is the famous theme park which is not Japanese themed, but offers a look of the Netherlands! Dutch houses come alive, there are amusement rides, theaters, and games for everyone.
- Name: Huis Ten Bosch
- Address: 1-1 Huis Ten Bosch Machi, Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 859-3292
- Price: 6,000 yen
- Hours: 9am-10pm
- Website: http://english.huistenbosch.co.jp/
2. Kujūku Islands
There is a famous group of islands off the shore of Sasebo. Visit the Kujūku Islands, which are a total of ninety-nine. You can choose from taking a cruise and getting a tour off the water or head to a few nature walks and hiking. The islands will make you feel as if you entered another world.
- Name: Kujūku Islands
- Address: Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 862-0913,
- Website: http://www.pearlsea.jp/cruising/
Take the bus to Tenkaiho to view this beautiful park and its gardens. The ride goes uphill, you can enter the observatory on site, and there is even a zoo on the way. This is great for a day trip.
- Name: Tenkaiho
- Address: 339 Shimofunakoshicho, Sasebo 857-1232,Nagasaki Prefecture
- Price: 500 yen
- Website: http://japan-photo.jnto.go.jp/eng/photo_detail.php?PI=130061
4. Ishidake Observatory
If you want to get the perfect 360° view in Sasebo, head to the Ishidake Observatory Tower. There, you will stand high above the lands and be able to see amazing views of the islands and land around you. The ocean at sunset is great for memorable photos.
- Name: Ishidake Observatory Tower
- Address: 1892-1 Funakoshicho, Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 857-1231
- Website: http://travel.sasebo99.com/en/99islands.php
5. Kujukushima Aquarium
Head out to the Kujukushima Pearl Sea Resort where you will find the Kujukushima Aquarium. As it is located inside a resort, you will get yourself an unofficial tour of it on your way in. Some highlights include the jellyfish dome, feeding tank, and fresh water creatures.
- Name: Kujukushima Aquarium
- Address: 1008 Kashimaecho, Sasebo 858-0922,Nagasaki Prefecture
- Price: 720 yen
- Website: http://www.pearlsea.jp/english/aquarium.html
6. Yumiharidake Observation Deck
Don’t miss the great views from the Yumiharidake Observatory Deck. There are a boardwalk and a park that leads to the deck. Here, you will find great views of the city, especially at night. It is recommended for romantic evenings.
- Name: Yumiharidake Observatory Deck
- Address: Yumiharidake, Fukudamachi, Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 857-0035
7. Maritime Self-Defense Force Sasebo Museum
We bet that you have never been to a self-defense museum before, are we right? The Maritime Self-Defense Force Sasebo Museum is free and offers many exhibits that show the Japanese history focused on self-defense. There are videos that are played and almost everything is in English additionally.
- Name: Maritime Self-Defense Force Sasebo Museum
- Address: 8-1 Uwamachi, Sasebo 857-0058 , Nagasaki Prefecture
- Price: Free
- Website: http://www.so-net.ne.jp/
8. Miuracho Catholic Church
We recommend you view the Miuracho Catholic Church because it is that beautiful! It is off the main road where you can easily pass it without going in if you prefer not to. The church has a neo-gothic look to it as it was raided in the past many times.
- Name: Miuracho Catholic Church
- Address: 4-25 Miuracho, Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 857-0863
- Website: http://runawaycubicle.blogspot.com/2010/09/catholic-church-in-sasebo.html
9. Kujukushima Zoological and Botanical Garden Morikirara
At the Kujukushima Zoological and Botanical Garden Morikirara, you will find activities for the entire day and family friendly. There is a zoo which features many main animals which the kids will love. If you have not been to a zoo or botanical garden in a while, this one will exceed your expectations.
- Name: Kujukushima Zoological and Botanical Garden Morikirara
- Address: 2172 Funakoshicho, Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture 857-1231
- Price: 300 yen
- Website: http://www.morikirara.jp/
10. Nagushiyama Park
Into National Parks? You will love Nagushiyama Park in Sasebo. The cherry blossoms take over in spring and there is a great combination of plants. The mountain view is great for photos, so whip out that camera before you leave.
- Name: Nagushiyama Park
- Address: 174-12 Nagushi Shikamachicho, Sasebo 859-6206, Nagasaki Prefecture
- Website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3313.html
11. Funakoshi Observatory
The Funakoshi Observatory is one of the best lookouts in the Sasebo area. The altitude is not as high as other observatory spots and you get a great view of the islands of Kujukushima from a small distance. It is on the way to the Pearl Resort so you might as well pull over!
- Name: Funakoshi Observatory
- Address: Funakoshicho, Sasebo 857-1231, Nagasaki Prefecture
- Website: http://attractions.tripzen.com/sasebo/funakoshi_observatory_521585
12. Hario Radio Tower
The Hario Radio Tower is a historical site from the 20th century. It was built by the Imperial Japanese Navy during the time of World War II. If you would like a tour, there are volunteers who offer it for free.
- Name: Hario Radio Tower
- Address: Hario Nakamachi, Sasebo 859-3452,Nagasaki Prefecture
History, caves, and exploring are what you will get when you explore Mukyudo. It used to serve as a bomb shelter during the war and a school at the same time. Recommended for those who are history buffs or looking to see something new.
- Name: Mukyudo
- Address: omamachi, Sasebo 859-3237, Nagasaki Prefecture
- Price: 100 yen
- Website: http://www.viewat.org/?i=en&id_aut=1202&id_pn=8871&pag=6&sec=pn
If you enjoy bridges, then you will love Meganeiwa. The name itself means “spectacle rock” and there are stone steps that you will have to walk among. There are several trails, shrines, and the natural bridge that you cannot miss.
- Name: Meganeiwa
- Address: Setogoecho, Sasebo 857-0135, Nagasaki Prefecture
15. Uragashira Hikiage Peace Park and Memorial Museum
For a mix of nature and history in one shot, go to the Uragashira Hikiage Peace Park and Memorial Museum. Entry is free and much of the history is focused around the time of World War II. There are many detailed records for viewing that makes this museum unique.
- Name: Uragashira Hikiage Peace Park and Memorial Museum
- Address: 824 Hariokitamachi, Sasebo 859-3454 ,Nagasaki Prefecture
- Price: Free
- Website: Uragashira Hikiage Peace Park and Memorial Museum
From historical sites to gardens and observatory decks, you can go weeks in Sasebo without running out of things to do. We wonder which attractions you will enjoy the most during your stay!
Have a good trip and travel!