Osaka offers a number of top class shopping areas with miles of shopping malls and arcades. There is something for everyone. There is an interesting mixture of designer shops offering fashionable, brand name goods and cheap outlet and discount chains. Umeda and Namba are the two biggest shopping areas in Osaka. Here are some of the most interesting places to go shopping in Osaka.
1. Shinsaibashi Suji
The shopping arcade Shinsaibashi Suji is one of the oldest and busiest shopping places and a symbol of Osaka located right between Umeda and Namba. If you want to buy Japanese souvenirs, this might not be the right place for you. However, if you need fashionable and stylish clothing or accessories, then this is the right spot. You can find a great number of chain stores, brand name shops, independent boutiques, as well as various restaurants. You should know that sometimes it gets too crowded, but you will certainly enjoy the excellent shopping atmosphere.
- Name: Shinsaibashi Suji
- Address: 542-0085 Shinsaibashi 1 ~ 2 chome, Namba, Chuo-Ku, Osaka
- Transportation: 1 min. Walk from Subway Shinsaibashi Sta. (exit No.5 and 6)
- Holiday: Different by Each Shop
- Tel: 06-6211-1114
- Website: shinsaibashi.or.jp
This retail and entertainment district is perfect for the young generation and the locals call it Amemura. It is the right place to come if you want to see the newest teenage fashion and culture. The atmosphere and architecture of Amemura is Western but fused with the strong Japanese touch. There are major restaurants and fashion chains such as Burger King, Mcdonalds, Stüssy, as well as a variety of bars and clubs. If you visit this area, then you must not miss Sankaku Koen Park which hosts a variety of events and performances especially on the weekends and at nights.
- Name: Amerikamura
- Address: 542-0086 1~2 chome, Nishisinsaibashi, Chuo-Ku, Osaka
- Transportation: Short Walk from “Shinsaibashi Sta.″ of Subway Midosuji Line (exit No.7)
- Website: americamura.jp
3. Den Den Town
Den Den Town or Nipponbashi is a specialty area for electronic, anime, video game, and tech lovers. It is one of the biggest commercial areas with a lot of electrical equipment discount stores. It stretches along two long streets and the stores are perfectly lined which makes finding different items easy. There are some great shops selling used CDs, games and similar stuff. There are some multi-story electronic shops as well as a few pawn shops and some toy stores that are open late.
- Name: Den Den Town
- Address: 556-0005 Nipponbashi and Ebisucho Naniwa-ku, Osaka
- Transportation: 1 Minute Walk from North A, Exit 1B of “Ebisucho Station” of Subway Sakaisuji Line
- Holiday: Different by Each Shop
- Website: dendentown.or.jp
4. Tenjinbashi Suji
If you are looking for shopping places with lower prices, then Tenjinbashi Suji shopping arcade is the right place. You should know that this is not a glamorous place, but it is unique and has a warm neighborhood atmosphere since the locals usually shop there. It is the longest shopping street and there are even some interesting small cafes and eateries there. In more than 600 shops you can find a variety of goods, such as books, clothes, shoes, groceries, medicine, and sundries and you will find some nice souvenirs too.
- Name: Tenjinbashi Suji
- Address: Tenjinbashi Kita-ku, Osaka, 530-0041
- Tel: (06)6356-0968
5. Grand Front Osaka
Grand Front Osaka is very popular and you can have the whole day fun there. It is a commercial complex in the Umeda district that has a wide variety of shops offering everything from lifestyle goods, fashion magazines, souvenirs, and beauty supplies to restaurants, cafes and bars. Grand Front is new and modern with walk bridges everywhere. After a long day of walking through various shops, you can relax in the beautiful outdoor space which is also great for your kids.
- Name: Grand Front Osaka
- Address: 530-0011 4-1, 4-20, 3-1, Ofuka-Cho, Kita-Ku, Osaka
- Transportation: JR Osaka Station, Subway Umeda Station
- Website: grandfrontosaka.jp
6. Namba Parks
This is an amazing combination of green space, shopping and dining. That is why this shopping mall is actually a kind of an oasis where you can enjoy the beauties from nature and yet in a big urban place. The shopping route winds through this artificial oasis, leading you past cliffs and caverns, waterfalls, trees and flowers. Apart from fashionable boutiques, the mall also offers a cinema, an outdoor event area and a roof top garden.
- Name: Namba Parks
- Address: 556-0011 2-10-70 Nambanaka, Naniwa-Ku, Osaka
- Transportation: Direct Access from “Namba Station” of Nankai Line
- Tel: 06-6644-7100
- Website: nambaparks.com
7. Tempozan Marketplace
This modern shopping mall is located in the Osaka Bay Area and it is a perfect place to visit in between attractions. It is a three-story building offering shopping, dining and entertainment facilities. There are numerous international shops, as well as restaurants and nightclubs and a public events arena. After visiting the shops, you can go to a unique gourmet theme park with various restaurants offering different delicacies and specialties.
- Name: Tempozan Marketplace
- Address: 552-0022 1-1-10 Kaigandori, Minato-Ku, Osaka
- Transportation: 5-min Walk from Osakako Station of Subway Chuo Line
- Barrier-free : Lift, Seeing-eye Dog, Roll-in Restroom
- Child Daycare : Nursing Room
- Restaurant : Available
- Parking : Parking Space for 2100 Cars
- Tel: 06-6576-5501
8. Rinku Premium Outlet Mall
Rinku Premium Otlet Mall, one of the largest outlet shopping centers, is located just across Kansai International Airport. It is a two-story building with over 200 shops of famous Japanese as well as foreign brands. There are clothes, shoes, accessories, watches, golf gear, luggage and many other shops offering an amazing shopping experience and at reasonable prices and with a resort atmosphere. When you get hungry, dining facilities offer a nice variety of food such as ramen, sushi, sashimi, burgers, European sandwiches and bread.
- Name: Rinku Premium Outlet Mall
- Address: 598-8508 3-28, Rinkuorai-minami, Izumisano, Osaka
- Transportation: Change to Kanku Express at Tennoji Station on JR Hanwa Line, Immediate Access from Rinku-Town Station
- Tel: 072-458-4600
- Website: premiumoutlets.co.jp
9. Aeon Shopping Mall
Aeon Mall is located in popular Rinku Town in a wonderful location near the shore offering the most wonderful sunsets in Japan. It is a very big shopping mall where you can find anything you need, from clothing and food to housing. You can spend a whole day walking around this mall with a wide range of shops. There is everything there – book shops, record shops, toy shops, clothes shops and electrical appliances stores. In the mall, you can enjoy many different kinds of food and especially some tasty Japanese sweets.
- Name: Aeon Shopping Mall
- Address: 590-0535 3-12, Rinku Minamihama, Sennan-shi, Osaka
- Transportation: By Train – 10mins walk from Nankai Tarui station
- By bus – “Nankai Wing Bus” Shuttle Services are Available from Rinku-town st., Nankai Ozaki st. and JR Izumi Sunagawa Station Every Day
- Tel: 072-480-6000
- Website: aeonmall.com
10. Crysta Nagahori
This is an underground shopping street for customers of various ages and it is perfect if you don’t want to spend too much money. You can see the daylight through the roof-top windows and the passage is wide enough to see the goods easily. There are four different areas in this complex with over a 100 shops and restaurants. Enjoy the walk through its fashion town, casual town, gourmet town and variation town. There is an art gallery in the fashion town with various exhibits such as paintings, photographs and calligraphies. In the gourmet town you can have a break and choose a nice spot to enjoy a variety of great food.
- Name: Crysta Nagahori
- Address: 542-0081 2-4 chome Minamisenba, Chuo-Ku, Osaka
- Tel: 06-6282-2100
- Website: crystablog.jp
Osaka’s traditional shopping arcades with hundreds of stores, as well as the latest modern shopping malls will definitely meet all needs and tastes and offer really wonderful shopping. Shop till you drop!
Have a good trip and travel!