Nagoya is a great city of Japan. It is the biggest in the Chūbu region and located at the seaside of the Pacific ocean. Nagoya is a notable city by its great landmarks like Nagoya Port, Higashiyama Zoo, Botanical Gardens and other sightseeings. But, also, it is remarkable for its local cuisine.
If you have never tried delicious dishes like Tebasaki or Hitsumabushi, consider not traveling to Nagoya at all. Let’s see, where you can try these amazing meals.
1. Atsuta Horaiken, Matsuzakayaten
Atsuta Horaiken, Matsuzakayaten is one of the most popular restaurants in Nagoya. They prepare the tastiest Unagi in the whole country. Moreover, the portions are big and really tasty. You will like spending time here, but be prepared and book the table. It is always a big crowd of people here, so if you don’t book, you will be waiting a long line.
The design of the place is great, but the professional service is better. You will enjoy your dinner at the place like this.
- Name: Atsuta Horaiken, Matsuzakayaten
- Address: 3-30-8 Sakae, Naka-ku | Matsuzakaya Nagoya South Bldg. 10F, Nagoya 460-0008, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11AM–10PM
2. Maruya Honten Meiekiten
Are you looking for a place to try Nagoya local cuisine? Maruya Honten Meiekiten will be a great choice. Delicious dishes with a great price, isn’t it perfect? The place is great for locals as well as for tourists. Restaurant`s staff always helps to translate the meals description and recommends something delicious and new to try.
Maruya Honten Meiekiten is a great place for having a lunch with family and close friends.
- Name: Maruya Honten Meiekiten
- Address: Meieki, Nakamuraku, Nagoya 450-0002, Aichi Prefecture
- Price: USD 28 – 46
3. Atsuta Horaiken Honten
Atsuta Horaiken Honten is a perfect spot to try Nagoya foods. It perfectly suits for tourists, as it has English menu and the staff speaks English as well. They prepare the most delicious Tenmusu (Tempura Shrimp riceball).
The place sometimes has a long queue so be prepared to see it and wait a little bit. Great venue for romantic dates and friends` meet ups. You will enjoy a friendly atmosphere with a delicious flavor around you.
- Name: Atsuta Horaiken Honten
- Address: 503 Godo-cho, Atsuta-ku, Nagoya 456-0043, Aichi Prefecture
- Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
4. Yabaton Honten
Yabaton Honten restaurant will surprise you with the tastiest Tebasaki. The flavor is rich that you will want more and more. Great place to have a family brunch or lunch. You will like to spend time here, the place is cozy and very friendly.
The restaurant is located in a great place, so you will easily find it, but prepare yourself for a line, especially on weekends.
- Name: Yabaton Honten
- Address: 3-6-18 Osu, Nakaku, Nagoya 460-0011, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11:00 am – 9:00 pm
5. Atsuta Horaiken Jingu Minamimonten
Are you obsessed with unagi? Atsuta Horaiken Jingu Minamimonten is a great spot to try it. The great news for travelers is that they have a menu in English and a description how to eat the unagi meal in the different ways too. You will have an unforgettable experience here.
The place is a little small but very comfortable and friendly. Don’t forget to reserve a table, if you don’t like to stay an hour or more in the line.
- Name: Atsuta Horaiken Jingu Minamimonten
- Address: 2-10-26 Jingu, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
6. Yamamotoyahonten Esca
Yamamotoyahonten Esca is a great restaurant that is located in the shopping mall “Esca”. After a little bit of shopping, you can take a break and have a lunch at this place. They have very good local Nagoya`s cuisine, you will like the taste and look of the dishes.
Sometimes you have a little bit to wait for your order, but it is worth the expected dishes. In the restaurant plays relaxing music, so you will enjoy your meal time much more.
- Name: Yamamotoyahonten Esca
- Address: 6-9 Tsubakicho, Nakamura-ku | Esca, Nagoya 453-8565, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 10:00 am – 9:30 pm
Ichiran is the place where you can try Nagoya`s famous food with really good prices. The atmosphere is great and you can really relax here after a long day.
The menu does not have an English version, but you can easily understand everything depending on the pictures. Also, you can ask the question to a waiter and he will help you to take an order.
- Name: Ichiran
- Address: 3-12-22 Sakae, Nakaku, Nagoya 460-0008, Aichi Prefecture
- Price: USD 7 – 9
8. Misen Yaba
Misen Yaba is a perfect place to stay after a long and hard day. Maybe you are tired at work or had many city tours and you are a little bit exhausted, so we recommend you to go after all this to that place.
They don’t have any English menu, but they will help you with a pleasure to make a right choice. The restaurant has big variations of local dishes, but also you will have a chance to try Taiwanese cuisine.
- Name: Misen Yaba
- Address: 3-6-3 Osu, Naka-ku, Nagoya 460-0011, Aichi Prefecture
- Cuisine: Asian, Taiwanese
9. Misen Imaikehonten
If you want to try a great Nagoya soup or noodles, visit the Misen Imaikehonten. Cozy atmosphere with a traditional decor design that will inspire you to travel much more in the Chūbu region.
The restaurant service is also very kind and always smiling. You will have a great food experience at the Misen Imaikehonten.
- Name: Misen Imaikehonten
- Address: 1-12-10 Imaike, Chigusa-ku, Nagoya 464-0850, Aichi Prefecture
- Price: USD 7 – 9
10. Unagi Shirakawa Joshin Honten
Unagi Shirakawa Joshin Honten is a perfect place to try traditional Nagoya meal – Hitsumabushi. This is a great dish for every season of the year. Moreover, this is the most famous local cuisine, so you definitely need to try it.
The restaurant’s staff, unfortunately, doesn’t speak English, but they have an English menu. So don’t be afraid, you will choose exactly what you want. The place is great and decorated in the traditional style. You will like it a lot.
- Name: Unagi Shirakawa Joshin Honten
- Address: 4-20-12 Josai, Nishi-ku, Nagoya 451-0031, Aichi Prefecture
- Restaurant features Reservations
11. Miyakishimen, Jingu
Another great place to try traditional Nagoya`s noodle soup. Miyakishimen, Jingu prepare the most delicate dishes with rich taste and delicious look. All meals are prepared quickly, so you won’t be at the line for a long time.
The restaurant doesn’t have an English menu, but friendly staff will help you with your order. The atmosphere is not so private here, everyone sits together at the big and long table.
- Name: Miyakishimen, Jingu
- Address: 1-1-1 Jingu, Atsuta-ku | inside Atsuta Jingu Shrine, Nagoya 456-8585, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
12. Hitsumabushi Nagoya Bincho Lachicten
Do you want to try fantastic grilled eel? Hitsumabushi Nagoya Bincho Lachicten is a perfect at it. The restaurant is located in the shopping mall called La Chic, which is near Oasis 21. Be prepared for big lines to the place in the rush hours.
The place has a great menu with different types of local cuisine. You will enjoy spending your lunch or dinner here, the atmosphere at the restaurant is perfect for a group attending.
- Name: Hitsumabushi Nagoya Bincho Lachicten
- Address: Sakae, Nakaku, Nagoya 460-0008, Aichi Prefecture
- Website: www.nagoya-info.jp/ko/eat/hitsumabushi/
13. Unagi Shirakawa Imaike
Try the most delicious eel rice at the Unagi Shirakawa Imaike. The place has a great choice of local Nagoya`s cuisine. You will have an unforgettable experience at this restaurant. The atmosphere and the staff are friendly and kind, you will enjoy your dinner time here.
The location is perfect, Unagi Shirakawa Imaike is situated in the middle of the city near some Nagoya`s landmarks so you will easily find this place.
- Name: Unagi Shirakawa Imaike
- Address: 1-8-8 Imaike, Chikusaku, Nagoya 464-0850, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11:00 am – 3:00 pm; 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Extremely popular place in the Nagoya. Ichibiki is a restaurant where a meal is prepared with the best local products. Try their famous Unagi don and you will never regret it. The taste is rich and delicious.
The Ichibiki has a simple design, but you will feel very comfortable at this place. The waiters are friendly and will always help you with your order. Enjoy your Nagoya food experience in the Ichibiki.
- Name: Ichibiki
- Address: Meiekiminami, Nakamuraku, Nagoya 450-8677, Aichi Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11:30 am – 1:00 pm; 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
15. Yabaton Nagoyaeki Meitetsu Branch
Yabaton Nagoyaeki Meitetsu is a great place to try Nagoya food. The place has a great menu, especially for brunches. You have an opportunity to try different kinds of local cuisine, beginning from Miso Katsu and ending with Oyakodon (Chicken and Egg rice-bowl).
The portions are really big and look very delicious. You will like the Yabaton Nagoyaeki Meitetsu by its simple but traditional design. This is a place where you want to return again and again.
- Name: Yabaton Nagoyaeki Meitetsu Branch
- Address: Meitetsu Department Store Honten 9F, 1-2-1 Meieki, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture
- Cuisine Japanese, Asian
We have found for you the best spots at Nagoya to try their famous local cuisine. Don’t miss the chance to visit at least one place from this list.
Have a good trip and travel!