Source: MIKI Yoshihito
Sushi is one of the most well-loved dishes from Japan. Usually, sushi is enjoyed during special occasions or when there is a celebration. Because of how delicate its ingredients are, sushi preparation is considered as an art form. And with this, chefs need to have proper training before they are able to handle sushi. It is no surprise why chefs spend several years learning to master the craft. Here are 10 of the best restaurants in Nagoya where you can enjoy sushi.
Aikyou is one of the pricey restaurants in Nagoya. Despite this, the restaurant makes sure they manage to serve delicious food only from the freshest seasonal ingredients since it is just near the central fish market. Apart from serving sushi and sashimi, Aikyou is famous for its wild turtle cuisine and the Aigo Nabe, a bouillabaisse dish made with local meat, cochin, Hida beef, blowfish, Ise shrimp and Matsuba crab.
- Name: Aikyou
- Address: Maison Nishino 1F, 1-31, Nishinocho, Atsuta-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi, 456-0063
- Price: JPY 15,000
- Opening hour: 11:30 am – 2:00 pm; 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Holiday: Open Everyday
- Website: www.aikyou.jp
For over 65 years, Kitahachi has been serving diners in Nagoya. To this day, they are one of the sought after restaurants for its variety of sushi options under their menu. Aside from sushi, Kitahachi serves other delicious delicacies such as the famous Cochin (Nagoya Chicken Sushi), Shabu Shabu, Uo Suki, Grilled Conger Eel, and Fried Chicken. The restaurant preserve its Japanese tradition by offering an option for tatami mat seating while also welcomes its travelling friends. They have an English menu as well as a section for regular tables and chairs.
- Name: Kitahachi
- Address: 3-22-10, Nishiki, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi, 460-0003
- Price: JPY 7,500
- Opening hour: 5:00 pm – 1:00 am
- Holiday: Closed on Sundays
Kappa-Sushi is one of the largest restaurants throughout all of Japan. The restaurant engages its diners in an extraordinary dining experience where they get to sit around a conveyor-belt sushi counter awaiting for their favorite delicacies. Apart from this, Kappa-Sushi manages to offer sushi for an affordable price without sacrificing the quality of their fresh ingredients. It definitely deserves a visit!
- Name: Kappa-Sushi
- Address: Nakajimashincho, Nakagawa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 3-2708-1, 454-0932
- Price: JPY 900
- Opening hour: 10:00 am – 11:00 pm
- Holiday: Open Everyday
- Website: http://www.kappa-create.co.jp/en/
4. Kamei Marunouchi
Kamei Marunouchi is a restaurant with a relaxed ambiance serving traditional Japanese food to its patrons. Inside, the restaurant is embellished with simple, warm wooden interior that gives off a casual vibe. Apart from serving delicious sushi, the restaurant has an impressive selection of deep-fried Nagoya chicken legs, duck, grilled Mikawa Bay conger eel, and udon. They offer an English menu as well as wait staff that are fluent in the language.
- Name: Kamei Marunouchi
- Address: 3-7-29 Marunouchi, Naka-ku, Nagoya 460-0002
- Price: JPY 4,000
- Opening hour: 11:30 am – 10:30 pm
- Holiday: Sundays and National Holidays
- Website: http://jpkamei.com/
5. Nigiri no Tokube
Nigiri no Tokube is a great destination for anyone looking for a variety of sushi dishes. One specialty they offer is the tempura sushi, which is a unique dish to try at the restaurant. The restaurant is considered a little pricey but there’s no denying that the quality of the dishes they offer is top of the line.
- Name: Nigiri no Tokube
- Address: 2-16-13 Chikusa, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-0858
- Price: JPY 120 to JPY 500
- Opening hour: 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Website: http://www.atom-corp.co.jp/brand/shop.php?shop_no=843
6. Azumasushi Honten
If there’s a restaurant that can be categorized as masters of sushi preparation, it would definitely be Azumasushi Honten. The restaurant has been in operation for over 145 years when Edo-style sushi culture was brought to Nagoya. Before this, the only types of sushi available were Oshizushi, Chirashizushi, and Inarizushi. After learning about the art of Nigirizushi, the owner went back to Nagoya to put up his restaurant boasting of a unique flavored sushi rice from a recipe passed down for generations.
- Name: Azumasushi Honten
- Address: 1-5-21, Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi, 460-0008
- Price: JPY 3,000
- Opening hour: 10:30 am – 9:00 pm
- Holiday: Year End and New Year Holidays
- Website: www.azumazushi-honten.com
7. Sengoku Sushi
Sengoku Sushi is a famous restaurant in Nagoya serving only the freshest sushi made from quality ingredients. The restaurant has been operating for over 60 years and has continued to impressed its diners with its large serving at reasonable prices. During lunchtime, they are usually swamped with diners so it’s advised to go early or call for a reservation. The restaurant has over 100 items on the menu.
- Name: Sengoku Sushi
- Address: 4-4-3 Taiko, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi
- Price: JPY 2,500
- Opening hour: 11:30 am – 2:00 pm; 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Holiday: Mondays
8. Nigirino Tokubei
Sushi chain restaurants are common throughout Japan. But if you’re looking for one that has reasonable prices, the best place to dine is Nigirino Tokubei. The highlight of this restaurant is that they have a conveyor-belt style of service where diners get to look at the different dishes prepared for them. It is also possible to choose a fresh order of sushi.
- Name: Nigirino Tokubei
- Address: Oasis 21, 1-11-1 Higashisakura, Higashi-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi
- Opening hour: 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
- Holiday: Irregular
9. Oshidori Sushi
For anyone looking for a sushi restaurant that serves only the freshest seasonal fish, Oshidori Sushi is one place to visit. Fish is delivered directly to the restaurant straight from the fishing ports so it is always a guarantee that the food they serve is fresh. Diners can enjoy the chef’s hand-shaped sushi with prices starting at JPY 80 per piece. The restaurant also offers an assortment of sashimi dishes and tempura.
- Name: Oshidori Sushi
- Address: 4-2-20, Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi, 460-0008
- Price: JPY 3,000
- Opening hour: 11:00 am – 2:30 pm; 5:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- Holiday: Sundays
Koshino is a small restaurant found in the heart of Nagoya that serves quality sushi without the expensive price tag. Apart from this, the restaurant has become famous for its good hospitality and very fresh sushi. Because of this, they are usually packed with diners so it is best to make a call in advance to book a table during your visit.
- Name: Koshino
- Address: 2-68 Kiribayashi-cho, Chikusaku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi
- Price: JPY 6,000
- Opening hour: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm; 5:30 pm – 10:00 pm
- Holiday: Mondays, Tuesdays, New Year, mid-August
With so many different sushi restaurants to choose from, you’ll be sure to taste the delicious delicacy of Nagoya!
Have a good trip and travel!