Nagano has ample choices for shopping. As the capital of Nagano Prefecture, the retail industry booms as the line of tourists visit the city throughout the year. There are several noteworthy shopping malls in the city and throughout the prefecture. Alternatively, the street markets and outdoor shops also take center stage as local vendors get more appreciation from customers both local and foreign.
Here are our 10 best picks for shopping in Nagano.
Midori Shopping Mall is a shopping arcade in Midori Station. An array of shops sells arts and crafts to the latest in fashion. It is a typical mall but what makes it unique is its proximity to the train station. The convenience it takes to have this one-stop-shop is a problem solver if you are in dire need of something and you forgot to buy it when you were in the city.
- Name: Midori Nagano
- Address: 1 Minamichitose, Nagano 380-0823, Nagano Prefecture
- Access: Midori Station
- Opening hour: 10 am – 8 pm
- Phone: : +81 26-224-1515
- Website: www.eki-midori.com
2. Zenkoji Hondo Temple / Chuo dori
Zenjoki is a famous destination in Nagano. This 7th century Buddhist Temple has maintained its pristine structure making it a stunning temple to visit. The main street that leads to Zenjoki is Chuo dori. This place is considered as Nagano’s major shopping area. Souvenir shops, food stalls, and restaurants line up in this area. There are also medium sized shopping stores in Chuo dori that you can visit.
- Name: Zenkoji Hondo Temple
- Address: Motoyoshicho-491, Nagano, Nagano Prefecture 380-0851, Japan
- Opening hour: 5:00-16:30
- Phone: +81 26-234-3591
3. Ario Ueda
Ario Ueda is a shopping center located near the Ueda Station (Shinanotetsudou), Shirtoshita Station (Uedadentetsu bessho Line), and Miyoshicho Station (Uedadentetsu besso Line). If you were on foot, it would be a 7-minute walk from Ueda Station, 8-minute walk from Shiroshita, 14- minute walk from the Miyoshicho Station. There are more than 100 brands endorsed by this shopping center. These labels range from international to local brands.
- Name: Ario Ueda
- Address: Yubinbango386-0025 Ueda, Nagano Prefecture Tenjin Third Street No. 5 No. 1
- Opening hour: Retail Stores – 9 am – 9 pm, Restaurants 11 am – 10 pm
- Phone: 0268-26-7711
- Website: www.ario-ueda.jp
4. Jusco Aeon
Jusco stands for Japan United Stores Company. This retail company started in the 70’s. Today this company is called Aeon. There are around 300 Aeon stores around Japan. Mostly these stores have evolved from a one building department store to a full-blown shopping complex. Aeon Mall, Aeon Town, or simply Aeon is what we call this giant corporation now. Aeon in Nagano started with selling Japanese silk for kimonos like its sister companies. These days, retailers of various brands are present in their well-established stores.
- Name: Jusco Aeon
- Address: 4-chome 1371-22 and others,Chuou,Matsumoto-shi,Nagano
- Opening hour: 9 am – 10 pm
- Website: www.aeonmall.com
5. Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza
Explore Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza. This shopping mall is within 2 kilometers from Nagano City, located just outside the south exit of JR Karuizawa Station. Prince Shopping Plaza runs with the big names in the retail industry. This mall is not near the main business and shopping districts. However, the trip to this shopping plaza is all worth it. Shop in a mall that is sitting on acres of grassland. Relax with the view of the lake, and dine with a front view of Mt. Asama. The Prince Shopping Plaza is a great shopping destination and definitely a must-see.
- Name: Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza
- Address: Karuizawa, Kitasaku-gun, Karuizawa-machi 389-0102, Nagano Prefecture
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 10 am – 7 pm
- Phone: +81 267 42 5211
- Website: www.karuizawa-psp.jp
Boomerang is a shopping center that is very near Shiyakushomae Station and the Gonduo Station. If you are coming from the Nagano Station (Shinetsuhonsen), it would be a 4-minute walk, from Shiyakushomae Station (Naganodentetsu Nagano Line), it would be a 5-minute walk to get to Boomerang. It would be an 8-minute walk to this mall from the Gonduo Station (Naganodentetsu Nagano Line). From Zenkoujishita Station (Naganodentetsu Nagano Line), that would be a longer 15-minute walk. Check the latest fashion items in this store. An online shop is also available for those who get the convenience of shopping at home.
- Name: Boomerang
- Address: 860-1 Minamichitose,Nagano-shi,Nagano, Japan
- Opening hour: 10 am – 7 pm
- Phone: 026-223-2160
- Website: www.boomerang-online.jp
7. MEGA Don Quijote Nagano
From the JR Shinetsu Line of the east exit of Nagano Station, take the Nagaden Bus (#2 Terminal) and find the Mega Don Quijote shopping center. This mall is also accessible via the Naganodentetsu Nagano Line and Sinetsuhonsen. Mega Don Quijote Nagano belongs to the chain of Don Quijote Retail Company. These discount stores sell various products from cosmetics to groceries.
- Name: MEGA Don Quijote Nagano
- Address: 1758 Takada Nagano-shi Nagano,JAPAN, 381-0034
- Access: JR Shinetsu Line From Nagano Station (East Exit), take Nagaden Bus at Terminal No.2. Exit at “Takada”, and it takes a 2 minute walk from the bus stop.
- Opening hour: 9 am – 12 am
- Phone: 026-263-3810
- Website: www.donki.com
8. Seiyu Grocery / Department Store
Seiyu Group in Japan is owned by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. The Seiyu stores are composed of supermarkets, department stores, and shopping centers. The Seiyu Kawanakajima is just one of the many stores already established in Japan. This shopping center is accessible from the Shiyakushomae Station, Gondou Station, Nagano Station, and Zenjoujishita Station. It would take roughly around 3 to 11-minute walk if you are coming from those stations.
- Name: Seiyu Kawanakajima
- Address: 1814-1 Kawanakajimamachi imaiyakushidou,Nagano-shi,Nagano, Japan
- Access: A 14-minute walk from JR Shinonoi Line Imai Station
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 9 am- 10 pm
- Holiday: 026-284-8441
- Website: www.seiyu.co.jp
9. Nagano Tokyu Department Store
Also running with the big names in Japan’s thriving retail industry, the Tokyu Department Store Co., Ltd. established the Nagano Tokyu Department Store in 1966. Now this commercial complex caters to more than 1,000 brands from foreign and local retailers. Restaurants in this mall are worth trying for. You may also like to catch your favorite flicks in this store’s cinemas.
- Name: Nagano Tokyu Department Store
- Address: 1-1-1 Minamichitose,Nagano-shi,Nagano, Japan
- Opening hour: Mon- Sun 10 am – 7 pm
- Phone: 026-226-8181
- Website: www.nagano-tokyu.co.jp
10. Again (Nagano)
AGAIN Nagano is a medium sized shopping center that sells all kinds of items from clothing to groceries. This is a 7-storey building in the street of Kitaishidocho that is easily accessed if you are coming from the train stations. It is easy to spot this area because of its colorful billboards hanging by the entrance of the building.
- Name: Again
- Address: 1429-1 Kitaishidocho,Nagano-shi,Nagano, Japan
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 1030 am – 730 pm
- Phone: 026-268-0200
- Website: www.sp-again.net
The list featured here are some of the best places where you can shop in Nagano. You can choose from the budget friendly areas to the big malls in Nagano. Most of the malls accept international credit cards but do not forget to bring plenty cash for the street markets.
Have a good trip and travel!