Hakuba is a small village established in Kitaazumi District, Nagano Prefecture. There are approximately 9, 000 residents. Hakuba is located in the middle of one of the biggest winter skiing and mountain vacation areas in Japan. The village is a globally notable ski resort carefully built in the northern Japan Alps. The annual snowfall is slightly over 11 meters. There are 10 ski resorts a Hakuba with more than 200 runs. 1999 Winter Olympics were held here and turned this place into an even more attractive ski center.
1. Visit Happoone Ski Resort
Hakuba Happo-one is established on the island of Honshu and represents one of the most famous and biggest ski resorts in Japan. It is a one-hour bus ride from Nagano. There is also a possibility of taking a train from Matsumoto to Hakuba Station and you will need a similar amount of time to get there. You will be able to enjoy wonderful picturesque views. This place was the main event at the Olympic Games and it still offers a wide range of challenging and exciting ski slopes.
- Name: Hakuba Happoone Ski Resort
- Address: 5734-1 Happo, Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-3066
- Website: http://www.happo-one.jp/#_=_
2. Visit Goryu Ski Resort
The best time to visit Hakuba Goryu would be winter. People from all generations and all parts of Japan are visiting. People who visit are from all generations and from every part of Japan. There are 17 lifts, 23 courses, and 2 gondolas with 8 seats each. These advanced facilities and various types of courses (including those for beginners) make every visitor enjoy as much as they can. If you are planning a family vacation, there are courses for children as well.
- Name: Hakuba Goryu Ski Resort
- Address: 22184-10 Kamishiro, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9211, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-75-2101
- Website: http://www.hakubaescal.com/shokubutsuen/#_=_
3. Visit Hakuba 47 Winter Sports Park
Hakuba 47 is established at the nose of the northern Alps. It shares a common pass with Hakuba Goryu so you do not have to buy extra tickets. There are a total of 23 trails. If you are beginner you can safely snowboard or ski at R-8 detour trail. The R-1 detour trail, which is the main one, is very dynamic and 2,500m long. The R-2 trail is good for a relaxing run with large big turns. The R-3 trail is for more advanced people and the R-4 is for the people who wish to jump and show off. A snow park with a huge variety of park items, some fantastic views, and many other exciting events provide a guaranteed fun at this place.
- Name: Hakuba 47
- Address: Kamishiro, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9211, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-75-3533
- Website: http://www.hakuba47.co.jp/#_=_
4. Hakuba Jump Arena
Hakuba Olympic Ski Jump Stadium is definitely worth visiting if you are nearby. There is a possibility to take a lift all the way to an observation tower. You can visit a ski jump museum once you get there since this is included in your lift ticket. There is a very nice view of Hakuba from this place.
- Name: Hakuba Jump Arena
- Address: Happo, Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261727611
- Website: http://www.hakuba-happo.or.jp/jump/#_=_
5. Hiking to Happo Pond
If you take a gondola and climb for a little longer than an hour, you will get to this beautiful spot with some marvelous views. Also, if you feel like hiking, there is another option which could even surpass the first one. You have two and hours hiking along the hiking trail all the way to Mt. Karamatsu – Dake summit. Once you get there, it is all worth the effort.
- Name: Happo Pond
- Address: Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura, Nagano Prefecture
6. Ski lessons at Hakuba Snow Sports School
Very friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and patient teachers. Something which is of an immense importance when you decide to take ski lessons. You are able to get 1 on 1 lessons as well. You will, of course, need some time and perseverance since all the slopes are different and not everyone is easy to handle.
- Name: Hakuba Snow Sports School
- Address: 26092 Kamishiro, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9211, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 80-5357-6420
- Website: http://www.hakubasnowsports.com/#_=_
7. Hakuba Mountain Views at Iwatake Ski Resort
When you come on the top you can warm up a bit on some easy runs at the Paradise triple. There are also some nice restaurants when you can refresh and grab a bite if you are hungry. There are four views available – A, B, C, and D. This place has something for everyone, especially if you are a beginner and you are looking to take some intermediate runs to develop your skills.
- Name: Hakuba Iwatake Ski Resort/Lily Farm & Mountain View
- Address: Hokujo, Iwatake, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-2474
- Website: http://iwatake.jp/#_=_
8. A Walk to Mt. Shirouma
If you are in a good shape, this would be a perfect idea for you. A walk to Mt. Shirouma is a large hill walk with some astonishing scenery and views. This trail became a little overcrowded in certain places but everyone around is helpful and patient so you will not be bothered with this too much. There are a lot of photo options once you get there.
- Name: Mt. Shirouma
- Address: Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301 , Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-7100
9. Trekking at Hakuba Daisekkei Trail
Hakuba Daisekkei Trail is one very interesting option for trekking. The snow never melts, you are free to go all year around. Bring some warm jacket and enjoy what nature has in store for you. You will hardly be disappointed with this place.
- Name: Hakuba Daisekkei Trail
- Address: Hokujo Sarukura, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
10. Visit the Rustic Kurashita no Yu
This place is completely rustic and very interesting with the best water in the town. A big square wooden tub placed outdoors is entirely encrusted with minerals. There is a salty brown iron water inside which is supposed to have healing characteristics. The entry fee is 600 yen.
- Name: Kurashita no Yu
- Address: 9549-8 Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-7989
- Website: http://www.kurashitanoyu.com/#_=_
11. Ski Lessons at Evergreen Outdoor Center
This is a westernized school with quite a lot of Australian and English speaking teachers working there. There are five different levels depending on how good your ski skills are. You can take some private lessons if you really feel the need to. It is definitely a more rewarding option. All in all, this is also good for the intermediate skiiers since the instructors will show you some useful tricks and point out your weak spots.
- Name: Evergreen Outdoor Center
- Address: 4377 Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-5150
- Website: http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/en/#_=_
12. Get Some Info at the Happo Information Center
If you are in the need of any information, you will find all you need at the Happo Information Center. The staff is friendly and ready to show you the right direction so you do not make a mistake. You can also use ATM machines at this spot since there are no many places in Hakuba where you can withdraw cash from the international accounts.
- Name: Happo Information Center
- Address: 5734-1 Hokujo Happo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-3066
- Website: http://www.happo-one.jp/info/#_=_
13. A Round Trip at Happo-one Nature Study Course
You need one hour to one hour and a half to get to Happo-one Nature Study Course. A ticket from Gondola Adam will cost you 2900 yen. When you are at the gondola entrance you will be able to get an English map. You will have some nice views at the top. It is a good trip for the families.
- Name: Happo-one Nature Study Course
- Address: Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura, Nagano Prefecture
14. A walk to Himegawa Headwaters Natural Garden
This is so beautiful and green in the spring. You will need approximately one hour and thirty minutes to get there by walking. You can enjoy the view of Katakuri and adonis flowers. The water is clear and great for taking photographs. Very peaceful and relaxing place.
- Name: Himegawa Headwaters Natural Garden
- Address: Sano, Kamishiro, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9211, Nagano Prefecture
15. Fishing at Hakuba Green Sports Forest
There is a wide range of playgrounds. Children will enjoy this. Admission fee is 50 yen. There is a fishing pond where you can fish for a bit and then fire up a grill and have some delicious meal outside. It is also a great spot for biking.
- Name: Hakuba Green Sports Forest
- Address: 265 Hokujo, Kitaazumi-gun, Hakuba-mura 399-9301, Nagano Prefecture
- Phone Number: +81 261-72-4755
- Website: http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/en/summer-camps/#_=_
At Hakuba, you have the access to many ski resorts and it is up to you to choose what you like. The people in this town are very friendly so you can enjoy your staying. You can enjoy exploring and hiking of the local terrain and you have plenty of options to find tranquil spots which are perfect for a vacation. The town comes alive at night when you have bars and some very nice restaurants to choose from.
Have a good Trip and Travel!