In the land of sushi, there is no shortage of sushi establishments in Yokohama. Whether you are visiting the second most populous city after Tokyo as a budget backpacker or luxury vacationer, there is a sushi joint to suit all tastes.
Sharing its space with a noodle house, this sushi shop serves authentic Japanese fare in a modern atmosphere. Their sushi selection is rich, and the chefs dedicated to crafting some of the city’s finest.
- Name: Kabanoosushi
- Address: 2-15-1 Tokiwacho Naka-ku Yokohama
- Opening hour: Mondays-Saturdays 11 30AM – 1430PM, 17 00 – 22 30
The best part about one of Yokohama’s favourite luxury sushi restaurants is that Nihonryourikonohana allows guests to dine in the comfort of private rooms upon request. With a seasonally rotating menu to ensure the utmost quality and freshness of their fish, you know their sashimi is amazing.
- Name: Nihonryourikonohana
- Address: 1-3-23 Kitasaiwai Nishi-ku Yokohama
3. Mawashisushi Yokohama Sky
High above in the city’s office tower of Yokohama Sky Building is Mawashisushi Yokohama Sky, a sushi establishment that attracts an influx of foodies, drawing a queue for seats in the house each evening. But this is how you know you are in the right place. Sushi is served on a conveyer belt, and special orders are requested through an iPad in front of you. For travelers there is an English menu introducing the ingredients, and the iPad is supported in both languages. This eatery is a favourite for the fact that it offers fresh sushi at an affordable price.
- Name: Mawashisushi Yokohama Sky
- Address: 〒220-0011 Kanagawa Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11AM-1030PM daily
4. Sushiro Higashikanagawaten
Sushiro Higashikanagawaten accurately encompasses the description of a “working man’s” sushi establishment. Reasonably priced and served efficiently on conveyor belts, patrons are easily in and out of Sushiro Higashikanagawaten within the lunch hour. Their flavourful salmon and tuna dishes are staples at this restaurant, as their fish literally tastes like they are transported directly from the sea and onto your plate.
- Name: Sushiro Higashikanagawaten
- Address: 2-48 Higashikanagawa, Kanagawaku
5. Magrodonya Miuramisakiko
Located inside the busy mall of Yokohama World Porters is the carousel sushi establishment of Magrodonya Miuramisakiko, which often draws crowds because of its dramatic and entertaining filleting of its bluefin tuna. Needless to say, any dish featuring the bluefin is a must try. Their menu also offers a wide variety of unique pairings using negitoro.
- Name: Magrodonya Miuramisakiko
- Address: 2-2-1 Shinko, Naka-ku | 1F Yokohama World Porters
- Opening hour: Saturdays & Sundays 1030AM- 9Pm, Mondays-Fridays 11AM-9PM
6. Kabuki Colette
Conveniently located adjacent to the JR Station is a small and cozy restaurant dishing up some traditional Japanese fare. Their extensive menu offer dishes to satisfy any cravings from sushi to salads to grilled skewers. The highlight of Kabuki Colette is their sashimi, and the sashimi menu varies depending on their catch of the day.
- Name: Kabuki Colette
- Address: 1-1-7 Sakuragicho, Naka-ku, Yokohama
- Opening Hours: 11AM-11Pm daily
7. Magurodonya Megumi Suisan
Magurodonya Megumi Suisan is a high end conveyor belt sushi establishment. While the menu encompasses the standard offerings of a carousel sushi restaurant, this eatery also serves rare and seasonal fish. The blackthroat seaperch known as nodoguro found only in the Hokuriku area is served at Magurodonya Megumi Suisan. In the wintertime they offer kanburi, a mature yellowtail that is known to inhabit the warm currents of Toyama Bay in November. Its high prices on the menu reflects the high quality of their food.
- Name: Magurodonya Megumi Suisan
- Address: 3-5-1 Minatomirai, Nishi-ku | 4F MARK IS Mall
8. Yokohamabashamichi Izuhei
Almost like a hole-in-the-wall establishment, this sushi shop is small and easy to miss. There are no seats available for dining in, but is a convenient stop for a mid-day snack or for picking up some take-out before retreating to the comfort of your hotel. Customer favourites are the inari sushi and the kanpyo maki, which are sushi rice in tofu pockets and dried gourd sushi roll respectively.
- Name: Yokohamabashamichi Izuhei yokohama
- Address: Onoecho, Nakaku, Yokohama
9. Sushi Zanmai Yokohama Chukagai East Gate
An all around excellent sushi joint located in Yokohama’s Chinatown, Sushi Zanmai Yokohama Chukagai East Gate is often recommended by locals for their friendly service, reasonable prices, and quality sushi. Be sure to look through their menu as not every dish is offered on the conveyor belt.
- Name: Sushi Zanmai Yokohama Chukagai East Gate
- Address: 165-4 Yamashitacho, Naka-ku, Yokohama
10. Kaitensushidokoro Tafu Azamino
A popular choice for families, Kaitensushidokoro Tafu Azamino often requires a queue for their seats. Their busiest days are Saturdays and Sundays, and those who recommend this joint also suggest arriving at about 4PM when crowds are most calm. Their aburi salmon and maguro tuna are not to be missed.
- Name: Kaitensushidokoro Tafu Azamino
- Address: 1 Chome-6-31 Minamisaiwai, Nishi Ward
Yokohama presents the traveler with ample sushi joints. Whichever one of these you decide to visit, there is the promise of delivering memorable dishes.
Have a good trip and travel!