One of the best ways to experience a country’s culture is through your taste buds where every dish is a story waiting for your senses to explore. Indulge in Porto Alegre’s scrumptious and savory meals, famous for the homecooked style with the warmth of a mother welcoming you home. Here are 7 restaurants to eat at when you visit Porto Alegre.
1. Churrascaria Na Brasa
Porto Alegre is best known for “churrasco” or traditional Portuguese grilled meat. Try this barbecue and steak cooked Brazilian style at Churrascaria Na Brasa and you will understand why it is one of the staple dishes at Brazil. The restaurant is a paradise for meat lovers as they offer 10 kinds of meat. To balance your dish, the restaurant also has a salad buffet and other side dishes like bread and french fries. You’re sure to have a pleasant dining experience as the restaurant has also been recognized for having good service.
- Name: Churrascaria Na Brasa
- Address: Av. Nilo Peçanha, 2131 – Boa Vista, Porto Alegre – RS, 91330-000, Brazil
- Phone: +55 51 3333 1413
- Opening hours:
- Mon – Fri 11:30AM to 3:30PM, 6:30PM – 11:30PM
- Sat 11:30AM to 11:30PM
- Sun 11:30AM to 11:00PM
- Website: www.churrascarianabrasa.com.br
2. Atelier de Massas
Explore a world of pasta at Atelier de Massas. You can even customize your pasta as they have a station where you choose your own type of pasta and a variety of sauces to complete your meal. If you’re vegetarian or are looking for a healthy meal, this restaurant is perfect for you as they serve a lot of vegetarian dishes. You can also ask what meals are not part of the menu for a pleasant surprise. The interior contributes to a good dining experience as it is cozy and the walls are lined with paintings that make for a good backdrop for pictures.
- Name: Atelier de Massas
- Address: Rua Riachuelo 1482, Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul 90010-273, Brazil
- Opening hours: Mon – Sat 11:00AM to 2:30PM, 7:00PM to 11:30PM
- Holiday: Sun
- Website: www.panoramagastronomico.com.br
3. Nono Ludovico
Em Porto Alegre na excelente companhia da família. Mano Santo, Márcia, Fran e Anderson na Nono Ludovico. Recomendo! pic.twitter.com/MpikDyAd2z
— Vinícius Puhl (@viniciuspuhl) February 20, 2016
If you’re up for a food trip then this restaurant is the place for you. Having a buffet dining style, you can eat as much as you want, and then some more. Amid a vast selection of food, the restaurant is famous for its pizza. Ranging from approximately 60 kinds of pizza, try the unique Brazilian “rodizio” style pizza and satisfy your sweet tooth with chocolate pizza and cheesecake pizza, to name a few. It is advisable to arrive at the restaurant before 8:00PM because the restaurant is so popular you may have to queue.
- Name: Nono Ludovico
- Address: Av. Lavras 328, Petrópolis, Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Phone: +55 51 3333 7050
- Opening hours: Mon – Sun 7:00PM to 12:00AM
- Website: www.nonoludovico.com.br
4. Mandarinier Gastronomia
Indulge in French cuisine at this charming and cozy restaurant that has a new menu every day. Customized and cooked by the owners who are a young couple and are both chefs, the dishes are well thought out with its sophisticated presentation and scrumptious taste. The service is also noteworthy as the waiters are kind that you feel at home in this restaurant. It is advisable to get a reservation here because the restaurant is often full and can only accommodate up to 30 people.
- Name: Mandarinier Gastronomia
- Address: Alberto Torres Street N 228, Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul 90050-080, Brazil
- Opening hours: Tue – Sat 11:30AM to 2:30PM
- Holiday: Sun – Mon
- Website: www.mandarinier.com.br
5. Le Grand Burger
Bite into layers of meaty goodness at Le Grand Burger. If you’re vegetarian, do not worry because they also have vegetarian burger options. Unlike the usual American burger, these meals are French style but uses familiar ingredients like bacon and cheese. There is a wide variety of burgers so you are sure to find a flavor you like. For a complete fast food experience, the meal is served with french fries and a special sauce that serves as the dip.
- Name: Le Grand Burger
- Address: Rua Marques Do Pombal 191, Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Phone: +55 51 3395 1520
- Opening hours:
- Mon – Fri 11:30AM to 3:00PM, 6:00PM to 11:30PM
- Sat 11:30AM to 4:00PM, 6:00PM – 11:30PM
- Holiday: Sunday
- Website: www.legrandburger.com.br
6. Lancheria do Parque
Source: Eugenio Hansen
Satisfy your hunger when you’re on a budget without sacrificing food quality at Lancheria do Parque. The restaurant is popular among locals and is particularly known for its fresh fruit shakes that are made to order. Despite the cheap price, the juices are served in 0.5 liters so you can share them with your travel buddies. Accompany your drink with meals that range from steak to snacks like sandwiches.
- Name: Lancheria do Parque
- Address: Av. Aranha, 1086 Bom Fim , Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Phone: 5133118321
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun 11:00AM to 12:00AM
7. Parrilla del Sur
— destemperados (@Destemperados) July 6, 2016
Barbecue is popular in Brazil and there are a variety of ways to cook it. Parrillo is Uruguayan style barbecue that is also available at Porto Alegre. The restaurant specializes in “Entrecôt” and is definitely a must-try. Grilled to perfection by experts, the grill is located at a place in view of the tables so you can see how your food is cooked. The service is fast even though the restaurant is usually full. In case you’re bringing a car, valet service is available for your convenience.
- Name: Parrilla del Sur
- Address: Avenida Nilopolis, 111, Porto Alegre, State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Opening hours:
- Mon 6:30PM to 12:00AM
- Tue – Sat 11:30AM to 12:00AM
- Sun 11:30AM to 11:00PM
- Website: www.parrilladelsur.com.br
Porte Alegre is surely a great city to find a variety of food from traditional Brazilian dishes across dishes from other cultures like France and Uruguay. With the vast options, you’re sure to have a new dining experience every day, or you could also return to any of these restaurants and keep coming back for more because the dishes are just that good.
Have a good trip and travel!]