When the dusk falls in the city of Nagano, nightlife begins to take off. As if set in motion, the street lights flicker in perfect unison casting a glowing shadow in the cold Nagano night. Discover Nagano at night and see for yourself what this city has to offer. You will soon realize that the day is not yet over and the night gets shorter as you have a good time in this city.
Listed below are some of the best places to enjoy the nightlife in Nagano.
1. The Red Dragon
Like a sleeping giant in the daytime, the Red Dragon fills up with life at night. Both locals and tourists flock this bar for the iced cold beer from Japan and around the world. Check the happy hours and drink all you can. You might also want to look at the menu in case you need a beer match.
- Name: The Red Dragon
- Address: 2 Chome-7-2 Minamichitose, Nagano-shi, Nagano-ken 380-0826
- Price: ¥ 600 – ¥ 2000
- Opening hour: Tue -Sun 2 pm – 12 am
- Phone: +81 26-227-6227
- Website: www.pub-reddragon.info
2. Izakaya Hanbey
If you have been on a drinking binge, you might already have the courage to try Izakaya Hanbey’s spicy delights such as the raw uterus and raw guts. These are actually skewered meat barbecued on a hot grill. This place hits the spot if you like to try some of Japan’s traditional food like yakitori, gyoza, and kushiage.
- Name: Izakaya Hanbey
- Address: Takahashi Dai 2 Bldg 1F, 1418 Minami-ishidō-chō Nagano, Japan
- Price: ¥100 – ¥ 3000
- Opening hour: 5 pm – Late
- Phone: +81 26 269 8000
3. The Pub Hakuba
Momonoki Hotel is a Swiss-style hotel in downtown Nagano. This hotel also houses the only English pub in town called Pub Hakuba. To get that old English pub feel, this place is complete with tall chairs on the counter and big mugs for the beers. The daily happy hour offers unlimited draft beer for 400 yen.
- Name: The Pub Hakuba
- Address: 4683-2 Wadano Hakuba Ikeda-machi Kitaazumi-gun, Nagano
- Price: ¥ 500 – ¥ 5000
- Opening hour: Mon – Sun, 12 pm – 1 am
- Holiday: +81 (0)261-72-4453
- Website: www.thepubhakuba.com
4. Flat Matsumoto
If you are in the Matsumoto area, visit the Matsumoto Castle, Matsumoto City Museum of Art, and the Yohashira Shrine. To complete your day, have some fun in Flat Matsumoto. This place is one of the top Karaoke bars in the area. Perfect for your group outings, birthday celebrations, and other occasions. Bring your friends for a night of eating, drinking, and singing.
- Name: Flat Matsumoto
- Address: 1-3-7 Chuo | B1F Central Bldg, Matsumoto 390-0811, Nagano Prefecture
- Opening hour: 11 pm – 6 am
- Phone: +81 263-39-1363
- Website: search.daisyo.co.jp/shop.php
Exiev is the biggest bar located in Nozawa. You can easily spot the place because of the blue fairy lights hanging by the wooden door. The place closely resembles a barn in the outside with wooden columns as the most common fixtures. Small gigs are sometimes played here, but on dry season, mostly what you can do here is drink, eat, and play some pool.
- Name: Exiev
- Address: Annex B1, Shimotakai-gun, Nozawaonsen-mura 389-2502 , Nagano Prefecture
- Opening hour: 8 pm – Late
- Phone: +81 269-85-4222
6. Bike Bar Hakuba
Fun nights wait at the Bike Bar Hakuba. This bar and restaurant provide a great venue for music gigs. Sometimes you can spot foreign artists play in the Bike Bar. The atmosphere is lively and casual. If you find the old records plastered on the wall and the big red bike, then you reached the place. You can bring the whole gang for a game of pool. You can also bring the whole family for some food and entertainment.
- Name: Bike Bar Hakuba
- Address: Hakuba Goryu, 399-9211
- Opening hour: 24/7
- Phone: +81 90-4024-9890
Blender Bar in Nagano is a whiskey tasting bar. Sample the many selections of whiskeys stored in Blender’s impressive collection. Sit back with your friends with a tumbler of your favorite scotch or malt whiskey. The bar will provide you cheese and crackers to compliment your bottle of your whiskey.
- Name: Blender
- Address: 1-3-7 Minami Chitose, Nagano, Nagano Prefecture
- Price: ¥1500 cover charge , ¥ 4000 – ¥ 5000
- Opening hour: 7 pm – 1 am
- Phone: +81 26-224-0001
8. Club Neverland
Dance to the beat of Club Neverland. The high-quality sound system, talented DJs, and spacious venue for dancing make Club Neverland a superb party place. The place is also for rent to companies who hold exclusive events. For a night of partying and dancing, this is the place to be. An Asian dining bar is also located in the same building so if you need to recharge with some food.
- Name: Club Neverland
- Address: Pelangi Nagano Minami Chitose 862-1
- Price: ¥ 500 – ¥ 5000
- Opening hour: 10 pm – 4 am
- Phone: 026-225-9603
- Website: www.pelangi-nagano.com
Tracks bar is a ski pub located 500 meters away from the ski resort in Goryu. The place has live music, bar games, and pool tables. If you are done hitting the slopes for the day, Tracks is a great meeting place where you can relax with your friends.
- Name: Tracks Bar
- Address: 22200-7 Kamishiro, Hakuba, Kita-azumigun, Nagano, Japan 399- 9211
- Opening hour: Mon-Fri: Daily from 4pm till late Sat: Daily from 4pm till late Sun: Daily from 4pm till late
- Phone: +81 261 75 4366
- Website: www.tracksbar.info/
10. Abby Road
Abbey Road is a cozy little bar near Zenjoki Temple. Enjoy music genres like Jazz, R&B, and the oldies but goodies songsIf you hear the Beatles songs playing, then you must be in the Abbey Road Bar. This bar is adorned with posters of the iconic pop band of the 60’s, the Beatles who popularized the famous street of Abbey Road.
- Name: Abby Road
- Address: 2295 Gondocho Tsuruga | Imai Bldg 2F, Nagano 380-0833, Nagano Prefecture
- Price: ¥ 600 – ¥ 1500
- Opening hour: Mon – Sat 8 pm – 4 am
- Phone: +81 26-217-5141
- Website: www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/abbeyroad/
Nagano’s nightlife is not as robust as the bigger cities like Kyoto or Nagasaki. However, there are plenty of enjoyable places to keep you busy and well entertained. For painting the town red, have this list handy. If you want peace and quiet to complete your day, you might just want to visit the nearest park for a nighttime stroll or the get to the nearest onsen for a dip before going home. That list we will save for another day.
Have a good trip and travel!