Fresno is a city in northern California, United States. With 520,159 population, it is the one of the largest cities of the state of California. As a visitor, it is an ideal place; since the other tourists’ attractions are nearby such as King’s Canyon, Sierra National Forest. The city is divided into three major areas: Downtown; Sunny-side, and Tower District. From three major parks, zoos, gardens, to theaters, festivals, museum; it has a lot of places of interest.
1. Visit the Iconic Yosemite National Park
Nearly 60 miles south of Fresno, lays one of the major attractions of United States; Yosemite Park. Yosemite Park has a rich history; going back to millions of year. In 1916, National Park services were created to maintain the park. Yosemite Park consists of mountains, giant cliffs, iconic views, ancient sequoias, and much more but the most popular area is it’s park area. Since becoming a major touring site, a Yosemite Village has been established, you can visit shops, restaurants, Yosemite museum etc.
- Name: Yosemite National Park
- Address: California, USA
- Established: 1890
- Phone: +1-209-372-0200
- Website: https://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm
2. Enjoy Safari at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
Chaffee Zoo is the major zoo of the Fresno, located in Roeding Park. It spans about 180+ acres and housing close to 200 species; from African elephants, sea lions to flamingo, King Cobra etc. It has been recently remodeled, so it in better shape than ever. You can visit the zoo on your own, or you can go with safari that is offered. Other tours such as Rain Forest tours are also available. The ticket prices are about $10 for adults and $5 for children, which is not at expensive; considering it the a major zoo.
- Name: Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Address: 894 W Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93728, United States
- Established: 1929
- Phone: +1-559-498-5910
- Timings: 9 am – 6pm
- Website: www.fresnochaffeezoo.org
3. Enjoy traditional art at Fresno Art Museum
After the closing of Metropolitan Museum, Fresno Art museum is the only museum left. It displays modern , traditional, Mexican art and others. The top artists’ work is exhibited here, so if you’re an art enthusiast; you don’t be disappointed. It may be a relatively small museum, but it can house about 6 exhibits at a time. They offer weekend classes for all. In summer, art workshops. are offered for kids, teens and students; mural making, drawing, painting etc.
- Name: Fresno Art Museum
- Address: 2233 N First St, Fresno, CA 93703, United States
- Phone: +1-559-441-4221
- Timings: 11 am – 5 pm
- Website: www.fresnoartmuseum.org
4. Visit Forestiere Underground Gardens
Forestiere Underground Gardens are man-made underground gardens in Fresno. The architect behind this wonderful work was Baldasare Forestiere; who has immigrant. It took him 40 years to complete starting from early the 1900s until his death. The gardens comprise of plants and trees such as oranges, lemons and also few small rooms. It is divided into three levels; which are 10 , 20 , and 30 feet, below the ground, respectively.
- Name: Forestiere Underground Gardens
- Address: 5021 W Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93722, United States
- Phone: +1-559-271-0734
- Timings: 10 am – 3 pm
- Open: Saturday & Sunday
- Website: www.undergroundgardens.com
5. Visit Saint John the Baptist Cathedral
Established in 1903, Saint John the Baptist Church is the main church of Roman Catholics’ of Fresno. Started as a small church; serving few families, within decades a larger building at the current location was constructed. Its services include baptisms, a legion of Mary, AA meetings, adoration etc. It was designed by Thomas Bermingham and consist of red brick. Due to size and architecture, it a major tourist attraction.
- Name: Saint John the Baptist Cathedral
- Established: 1903
- Address: 2814 Mariposa St, Fresno, CA 93721, United States
- Phone: +1-559-485-6210
- Timings: 8 am – 12:30 pm , 2 pm – 7 pm
- Website: www.stjohnsfresno.org
6. Visit Shinzen Japanese Garden
Built by local Japanese Americans, this garden is located in the Woodward park of Fresno. It is a pretty authentic Japanese garden consisting of a tea house, koi pond, and a small bridge. It’s beautiful, pretty big and tranquil place, so come you can visit this place for relaxing etc.Festivals are organized such as Spring Blossom Festival. Its entry fee is a mere $3. Especially if you are interested in Japanese art and culture, do visit this place.
- Name: Shinzen Japanese Garden
- Address: Fresno, CA 93720, United States
- Phone: +1 559-840-1264
- Timings: 5 pm – dusk
- Website: http://www.shinzenjapanesegarden.org/
7. Be a part of Big Fresno Fair
It’s the largest festival with about more 6 million visitors annually, in Fresno. It is organized annually in October; for a period of 2 weeks. It was founded in 1884 and is one of the largest fairs in California. From photographs, home decoration, and fine arts, to gems, mineral and flowers exhibits, it can everything for everyone. They also organize exhibit related to the city’s rich- agricultural history. The ticket prices are $7 for children and $10 for adults.
- Name: Big Fresno Fair
- Address: 1121 S Chance Ave, Fresno, CA 93702, United States
- Phone: +1-559-650-3247
- Timings: 8 am – 11 pm
- Website: https://www.fresnofair.com/
8. Enjoy Boxing and Movies At Tower Theatre
The Tower theater is a historic mixed-use theater in Fresno, being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located in the major neighborhood; Towers’ District of Fresno. Events and shows such as critically acclaimed movies, cage and boxing matches, musical nights, tributes and art are all organized here. It has a nice sitting arrangement and a pretty large parking lot, so you don’t have to worry about small inconveniences.
- Name: Tower Theatre
- Address: 815 E Olive Ave, Fresno, CA 93728, United States
- Phone: +1 559-485-9050
- Timings: 10 am – 5 pm, Closed (weekends)
- Website: www.towertheatrefresno.com/
9. Visit the Major Fresno Park: Roeding Park
Roeding Park is one of the major parks of Fresno. Spanning over 2 acres, it has a zoo, amusement parks such as Playland and Storyland, tennis courts, horse holes etc. With lush green gardens, trees and ponds, it is an ideal park for talking a walk and peace of mind. It is an ideal place for picnics and spending quality family time. Its entrance fee is $5 but you have pay additional for entrance in zoos and amusement parks.
- Name: Roeding Park
- Address: 890 W Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93728, United States
- Phone: +1 559-621-2900
- Website: https://www.fresno.gov/…/ParksandRecreation/ParksandFacilities/…Parks/
10. Visit Fresno Bee Building
Fresno Bee building is a historic building built in 1992 by architect Leonard F. Starks. It is located in downtown Fresno. It has 5 floors and was built to house offices of The Fresno Bee newspaper. From 1984 to 2010, the building housed The Metropolitan Museum. It has gone through renovations and major structural changes about 8 years ago.
- Name: Fresno Bee Building
- Established: 1922
- Architect: Leonard F. Starks
- Address: 1545 Van Ness Avenue
- Website: historicfresno.org/nrhp/fresbee.htm
11. Gain Knowledge at Henry Madden Library
Henry Madden Library is one of the two major libraries of Fresno. The Library was established in 1911 and re-named in 1981 after Henry Madden. It has about 1.3 million volumes covering subjects which academic and knowledge-related in nature. Keeping with current trends, the library’s entire database is on the web. Though as a traveler, you must visit it in person and see the architecture.
- Name: Henry Madden Library
- Address: 5200 N Barton Ave, Fresno, CA 93710, United States
- Phone: +1-559-278-2174
- Timings: 7:45 am to 12 am (Monday to Thursday)
- Website: https://library.fresnostate.edu
12. Enjoy Concert and Sports At Save Mart Center
Save-mart center is the multi-purpose complex located in Fresno. It is home to Fresno States’ basketball team. Events and shows include concerts; by big names like Paul McCartney, and sports; basketball and hockey. The complex spans of about 40,000 meter square. Its capacity is about 16,000 to 18,000 seats. To collect revenues, apart from sponsors and advertising, there are suites for rent for individuals, family and also for parties. For ticket prices, you may visit Save-Mart’s official website.
- Name: Save Mart Center
- Address: 2650 E Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93710, United States
- Phone: +1 559-347-3401
- Capacity: 16,000 (Average)
- Website: www.smartmartcenter.com
13. Visit and Pray At Peoples Church
Peoples Church is a non-denominational church in Fresno. Beside the church, the complex also houses a grade for kids. On Sundays, from 9: am – 10:30 pm and then again on 12:00 pm open gatherings are scheduled. Classes and gatherings are offered for unique groups such as Singles over 50, over-comers; for people with special needs etc.As a tourist, you can get immersed in these activities or just admire the sheer size and architecture of the church.
- Name: Peoples’ Church
- Address: 7172 N Cedar Ave, Fresno, CA 93720, United States
- Phone: +1 559-298-8001
- Timings: 8 am – 12:30 pm
- Website: http://www.peopleschurch.org
14. Witness Works of new artists at Rogue Festival
Rogue Festival is a 10-day long festival; featuring dances, performances, and art exhibitions. They advertise themselves as giving a chance to independent artists to showcase his or her work. It is relatively new but it is gaining momentum after receiving great reviews and antidotes. They also showcase work of new and upcoming artists. So,if you’re in discovering new artist, it is the right place to be, you may never you may be witnessing the new great artist!!
- Name: Rogue Festival
- Address: 438 E Shaw Ave, Fresno, CA 93710
- Phone: +1-559-514-6715
- Duration: 10 days
- Website: www.roguefestival.com
15. Enjoy Classical Things At Warnors Theater
Established in 1928, Warnors Theater is a historical theater, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was named re-named Warner Theater after purchased by Warner Brothers but then again slight changed to Warnors. It is located in downtown Fresno and was built by Alexander Pantages. Enjoy live music, stage shows classical art and movies at the theater. As a visitor, you must go and see an organ pipe used by only one organist meant to be a suitable replication of an entire orchestra. It is also available to rent for private events of any nature e.g you could come here, just to attend your own wedding!!
- Name: Warnors Theater
- Address: 1400 Fulton St, Fresno, CA 93721, United States
- Phone: +1 559-264-2848
- Timings: 9 am – 5pm (Week-days)
- Website: warnors.org
16. Enjoy Staking at Loins’ Stakes Park
If you’re a young tourist in your mid-20s, then you check this out. You can learn by getting mentored by the friendly community at the park. Lions Stake Park is located in the Lions Park in Fresno. It is the best stake park of the city having a lightning facility at nights. It spans around 30,000 sq. ft. There is no entry fee. You just need to buy or rent a skate.
- Name: Lions Den Stake Park
- Address: 4650 N Marks Ave, Fresno, CA 93722, United States
- Phone: +1 559-621-7529
- Timings: 8 am – 10 pm
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lions-Skatepark/146929202028806
17. Enjoy a Game of Baseball At Chukchansi Park
Opened in 2002, Chukchansi Park is a baseball stadium, home to Fresno Grizzlies of the Major League Baseball (MLB). If you can also watch the game in the phoenix club, or visit the fully-functional restaurant; built inside the stadium. It also hosts soccer games. Besides the games, rental serviced are also available. So, if you want to throw a private party, you can rent luxurious suites featuring pools.
- Name: Chukchansi Park
- Address: 1800 Tulare St, Fresno, CA 93721, United States
- Capacity: 16,000
- Phone: +1 559-442-1047
- Timings: 9 am – 5 pm
- Website: www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20081119&content_id=41087602&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t259&sid=t259
18. Have fun at China Peak
China Peak is a mountain and skiing resort in Fresno. The entire complex includes 14 resorts, 1000+ trails, and more than hundred lifts etc. The services include; lodging at the China Peak Inn, bus and field trips and obviously a sports shop for you to buy necessary equipment. If you don’t know how to ski or snowboarding, you can learn for $99; three days a week. You can also get a discount; on all the services, if you book early.
- Name: China Peak
- Address: 59265 CA-168, Lakeshore, CA 93634, United States
- Phone: +1 559-233-2500
- Website: www.skichinapeak.com
19. Enjoy Monster Truck Racing at Monster Jam
Monster Jam is a monster truck racing organization that organizes races in different cities. In Fresno, it is organized at the different complexes and centers; quite a few times annually. Even you aren’t interesting in monster truck racing, go buy a ticket; rested assured you won’t be disappointed. Ticket price starts from $20. Conventional promotional deals are offered such as Buy one ticket, get one children ticket free.
- Name: Monster Jam
- Access: Organized at “Centers” such as Save Mart
- Phone: +1-714-773-9800
- Website: http://www.monsterjam.com/events/fresno-ca
20. Taste Wines At Fresno County Wine Journey
As a tourist, you should definitely try this even; as Fresno County Wine Journey are year-around events which showcase local award-winning wines. It is organized by Twin Rivers Vintners Association. Events include Roll Out the Barrels, Fall Harvest Wine Journey etc. About a dozen wineries and 2 breweries which all locally-owned, participate in the events. There are 2 tasting rooms where you can try out the wine before purchasing. The prices range according to quality and the year in which it was brewed.
- Name: Fresno County Wine Journey
- Organizer: Twin Rivers Vintners Association.
- Members: More than a dozen wineries
- Website: http://www.fresnocountywinejourney.com/
These are the 20 things to do at Fresno. We have mentioned all the important cultural and local events. Fresno is a great place to visit. Hopefully, this article will be helpful in deciding where you; as a visitor, want to go.
Have a good trip and travel!